_ _ _ _

Thread: How much is your team worth?

Default How much is your team worth?

Default Re: How much is your team worth?

reality sometimes sucks !!!!!

Blog Entries

In response to the article one person stated the players should get paid, however, another person stated the following.

"yes, the players DO get paid. they get scholarship money (worth tens of thousands of dollars), access to training, equipment, and coaching, and valuable publicity promoting their talents to NFL scouts.
    undoubtedly, most football players would rather get paid than receive scholarship money (because most are dumb nuts who don't care about an education). However, we should ask them a different question: Would you rather get the scholarship, the coaching, the training facilities, and the publicity OR would you rather skip college and try to get into the NFL draft without the benefit of al this?"

NIU certainly will have some more money in their coffers.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Head View Post
    In response to the article one person stated the players should get paid, however, another person stated the following.

"yes, the players DO get paid. they get scholarship money (worth tens of thousands of dollars), access to training, equipment, and coaching, and valuable publicity promoting their talents to NFL scouts.
    undoubtedly, most football players would rather get paid than receive scholarship money (because most are dumb nuts who don't care about an education). However, we should ask them a different question: Would you rather get the scholarship, the coaching, the training facilities, and the publicity OR would you rather skip college and try to get into the NFL draft without the benefit of al this?"
    I took a different take on that. How much is a B.A. or B.S. really worth today? It seems everyone has one. The young people I know are going back for at least a Masters. Perhaps schools should be force to offer this to athletes? Extend the years of they can play?

Interesting that the four highest Sun Belt teams on this list are all leaving the Sun Belt..........

Just shows the power of a good TV deal. Many of those schools, especially in the Big East and MWC would be down with UL if they had UL's TV deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    Interesting that the four highest Sun Belt teams on this list are all leaving the Sun Belt..........
    Is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    I took a different take on that. How much is a B.A. or B.S. really worth today? It seems everyone has one. The young people I know are going back for at least a Masters. Perhaps schools should be force to offer this to athletes? Extend the years of they can play?
    I think you're downplaying the value of a BS/BA. Less than 1/3 of Americans have an undergraduate degree. Alot of people are skilling up and pursuing post grad education today because of the economy but the % of the pop with masters and doctorates is very very small. In short, a free college education to play sports is worth a helluva lot more than just the cost of tuition for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post
    I think you're downplaying the value of a BS/BA. Less than 1/3 of Americans have an undergraduate degree. Alot of people are skilling up and pursuing post grad education today because of the economy but the % of the pop with masters and doctorates is very very small. In short, a free college education to play sports is worth a helluva lot more than just the cost of tuition for 4 years.
    To further your point Doc, I think one of the UL commits this year actually expressed interest in engineering as his major. Think his BS degree won't be worth much? From experience, I can tell you he won't be looking long for a job once he graduates.

Bingo.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I find it equally interesting that Tech, with a budget only $2M above UL, also got that invite. They were getting more money from being in the WAC than UL was from the SBC. So, in just comparing those two programs, that would have to be considered in a "budget analysis for membership".

At some point, we have to get a student athletic fee passed.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post
    Wouldn't you say it is what the BA/BS is actually in as far as its marketable value? I know someone about to graduate in psychology and she is already applying to grad schools because you really can’t do anything with it. Now someone in nursing or engineering could probably come right out of school making good money. I would bet most student athletes are getting liberal arts degrees which are almost worthless without an advance degree. What do you think about adding two more years of eligibility so they can get an advance degree?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I find it equally interesting that Tech, with a budget only $2M above UL, also got that invite. They were getting more money from being in the WAC than UL was from the SBC. So, in just comparing those two programs, that would have to be considered in a "budget analysis for membership".

At some point, we have to get a student athletic fee passed.
    This. 1000x this.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Wouldn't you say it is what the BA/BS is actually in as far as its marketable value? I know someone about to graduate in psychology and she is already applying to grad schools because you really can’t do anything with it. Now someone in nursing or engineering could probably come right out of school making good money. I would bet most student athletes are getting liberal arts degrees which are almost worthless without an advance degree. What do you think about adding two more years of eligibility so they can get an advance degree?
    I agree that the field makes a big difference in value. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to more eligibilty for advanced degrees but grad school has much tougher admission standards than undergrad and many student athletes would not qualify just like many undergrad students would not. So basically some students.might get 6 years of eligibilty and some 4 and it would depend on their academic record. Not sure how that would work logistically.

My initial thought was around college players getting paid and the upshot is that I think they already do and that how they are paid (free efucation) is very valuable. Obviously it would be more valuable for those pursuing advanced degrees while on scholarship.