_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

  1. UL Basketball Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78


      DENTON, Texas - This time, North Texas didn't leave any doubt.
    And Kendrick Davis didn't wait until the final seconds.

    The Mean Green survived two earlier regular-season meetings with UL's Ragin' Cajuns by the narrowest of margins, and won both when Davis nailed game-winning shots.

    On Wednesday night, Davis had 21 points in the first half in boosting UNT to as much as a 19-point lead, and the athletic hosts held off the Cajuns' lone rally and ran away again at the end to a 93-78 victory in the first-round of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

    "It's pretty simple," said UL coach Robert Lee. "North Texas played outstanding. Their talent level stepped to the forefront ... they played like the most talented team in the league. And Kendrick Davis had an outstanding first half."

    Davis' three-pointer with 2.2 seconds left gave UNT (20-10) a 72-70 victory in Lafayette on Saturday, and the Mean Green will look for that kind of Cajundome success in Sunday's tournament quarterfinal against UL Monroe, an 83-67 home winner over Denver on Wednesday.

    The Cajuns, meanwhile, ended its season on a disappointing note, out of the tournament that will begin this weekend on their home floor.

    The rest of the story



    Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    4,746

    Default Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    How's the baseball team doing? When does football start? Is this the worst performance for a Cajun basketball team?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    How's the baseball team doing? When does football start? Is this the worst performance for a Cajun basketball team?

    Yesssssssssssss

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    UL Basketball Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    How's the baseball team doing? When does football start? Is this the worst performance for a Cajun basketball team?

    No, it is not the worst in number of wins and losses. Marty had a team with seven wins. He had a winning season the next year 16-12, and slipped back to 12-16 in his last season. This was a great class of freshman that never panned out for Marty. "Dutch Reinhardt" had several seasons worst than that, Shipley came on board to take over for Dutch and he never looked back, Hatfield had two worse seasons after the death penalty but was able to turn the program around in his third season. So yes it is bad, horrible, and only one coach was successful after that in the last sixty years.

    I have faith that Coach Lee will be the second, he needs one quality big man to have a very good team next season. We have quality transfers waiting, and quality props making good grades, and an all star freshman coming on board. Time will tell.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    UL Baseball Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    How's the baseball team doing? When does football start? Is this the worst performance for a Cajun basketball team?
    The baseball team is doing an outstanding job. You had a chance to see them last week in Hammond. You also will have another opportunity to see them in Hattisburg this week end.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    No, it is not the worst in number of wins and losses. Marty had a team with seven wins. He had a winning season the next year 16-12, and slipped back to 12-16 in his last season. This was a great class of freshman that never panned out for Marty. "Dutch Reinhardt" had several seasons worst than that, Shipley came on board to take over for Dutch and he never looked back, Hatfield had two worse seasons after the death penalty but was able to turn the program around in his third season. So yes it is bad, horrible, and only one coach was successful after that in the last sixty years.

    I have faith that Coach Lee will be the second, he needs one quality big man to have a very good team next season. We have quality transfers waiting, and quality props making good grades, and an all star freshman coming on board. Time will tell.
    Marty was given a pass that first year because the cupboard was truly bare then. He turned it around by his second season. With Lee, the team was going to win by default his first year and I think Lee deserved a pass his second year, even though it was very dissapointing, due to the rebuilding needed. But to go 9-21 in 3rd season is end game if the program really wanted to win.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    This is so COOL Re: Cajun Men fall to N. Texas, 93-78

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicajun32
    Marty was given a pass that first year because the cupboard was truly bare then. He turned it around by his second season. With Lee, the team was going to win by default his first year and I think Lee deserved a pass his second year, even though it was very dissapointing, due to the rebuilding needed. But to go 9-21 in 3rd season is end game if the program really wanted to win.
    The year you speak of was several years down the line. Marty came on board in 86 and the class I am speaking of was 94. It was a great class, and Jesse did not inherit a depleted class, he had many of those players, and some good ones Marty had recruited the fall before he was released.

    Jesse IMO did a fine job, I am not here to try and reduce his efforts. He was not perfect and we always had class issues in multiple numbers, he also never had an agressive stance in out of conference games. Robert's first class was a combination of Jesse, and Cyprien, last year was his first class with several mistakes, and this year his second class IMO pretty good.

    Jesse method of recruiting will not work with the new APR by the NCAA at UL, Coach Lee will live and die with these two classes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •