Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Let me ask all of you a question

Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyDowdy View Post
    I hope I am not butting in but I would like to share what AD Terry Holland began promoting in 2004 when he became ECU's AD. "Control what you can control". Fill the stadium, support the University the best way you can, and always be on your best behavior with visiting fans. It goes a long way when opposing fans enjoy the visit. I believe the constant preaching has made us a better fan base and has helped lead to the success we have had with moving up the food chain.

Sorry for butting in but that simple phrase can carry a lot of weight.
    Holland was a stellar basketball coach at Virginia before becoming an AD and NCAA men's basketball tournament chair. Recently worked with him on a Basketball Times story looking back on the 30-year anniversary of Chaminade's upset of Virginia. A very well-respected man who could provide some valuable knowledge for the Cajuns' administration.

Blog Entries

Very well said. It a business people, a very BIG business. The athletic budget may not be large enough, but it is the LARGEST it's ever been...you have to WIN to be sucessful..we are on our way, one step at a time. Follow the sucessful steps of others, just like in business. There is ALWAYS a way to overcome hurdles. If the folks in your organization can't cut it, they are replaceable. God bless Hud's vision. He has awoken a GIANT, but he can't do it alone, by god has he done his part!

We need an ambassador (Asc. Athletic Director) who hops in a car and heads out to other Universities meeting people, viewing facilities and programs. Talking up our teams and Dept. for games and alliances. It would be an excellent way to find new ideas and get games for various programs and set up coordination between schedulers. He/she can visit a Univ. each day on a two week swing, working his way out and back in then rest for a week and go again. After a year the job is turned over to another Asc. AD.

I have a friend that thinks we need to do as many deals as possible to get big names in here for football and basketball and sell tickets based on named opponents and that excitement instead of conference affiliation. Maybe we can go to ESPN or espn2 and sell a deal on playing someone special in the dome each year for five years in September. They could make it worth while for the visitor and our fans get a warm-up for the N.O. Bowl. Is our A.D. visiting the various TV executives every year and taking them to dinner? What about a six year deal with S.Miss (here, there and N.O. and then again) What about 2 for ones. What about only scheduling Mcneese and Southern for our yearly 1AA opponent. Can we get to where we take a million from a Florida away game and pay Georgia Tech 500,000 to do a home and home. Can we get Duke or UNC in here for basketball and give them half the gate(13500 x $25.00=$337,500.00). We could split TV revenue and give them a return visit. Play two Million dollar games in football each year away and buy some great home games with the money. Fans don't care about facilities as much as opponents. We can make money on increased ticket revenue and sales excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialCajun View Post
    We need an ambassador (Asc. Athletic Director) who hops in a car and heads out to other Universities meeting people, viewing facilities and programs. Talking up our teams and Dept. for games and alliances. It would be an excellent way to find new ideas and get games for various programs and set up coordination between schedulers. He/she can visit a Univ. each day on a two week swing, working his way out and back in then rest for a week and go again. After a year the job is turned over to another Asc. AD.

I have a friend that thinks we need to do as many deals as possible to get big names in here for football and basketball and sell tickets based on named opponents and that excitement instead of conference affiliation. Maybe we can go to ESPN or espn2 and sell a deal on playing someone special in the dome each year for five years in September. They could make it worth while for the visitor and our fans get a warm-up for the N.O. Bowl. Is our A.D. visiting the various TV executives every year and taking them to dinner? What about a six year deal with S.Miss (here, there and N.O. and then again) What about 2 for ones. What about only scheduling Mcneese and Southern for our yearly 1AA opponent. Can we get to where we take a million from a Florida away game and pay Georgia Tech 500,000 to do a home and home. Can we get Duke or UNC in here for basketball and give them half the gate(13500 x $25.00=$337,500.00). We could split TV revenue and give them a return visit. Play two Million dollar games in football each year away and buy some great home games with the money. Fans don't care about facilities as much as opponents. We can make money on increased ticket revenue and sales excitement.
    Duke and UNC would laugh at coming here for bball to split the gate. They would have zero incentive to come here when they already sell out every game at home and are on Tv every game already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Duke and UNC would laugh at coming here for bball to split the gate. They would have zero incentive to come here when they already sell out every game at home and are on Tv every game already.
    We can invite them to play in the Lights on at Blackham Tournament

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I have an issue with this thread from inception. Any time fans complain how lame our administration "leads" our athletic system... someone finds a way to turn it around on the fans. Do not accept the role that is squarely placed in the laps of people paid to lead our system, and develop all of the answers to OUR questions.

I'm an excessively polite person when I have a conversation with someone worthy of respect. I'm equally impolite when I'm in the presence of people using simple (impressive to them, but not to me) skills to divert the flow of responsibility. Our admin has the direct responsibility for everything happening, decision-wise, at UL. They are the only ones with the keys to the required locks. If you think any individual among the fan base, or group in the fan base, have that ability/authority, you are mistaken.

This forum gets asked about 20 times a year... well, what would you do? That is what we as fans need to fight as a group. Any person that flips the issue back at the fans needs to be tard and feathered. The answers are quite simple and they are but a few. Borrow and build and commit to the best in class that you are going to surpass them. Go grab the faces of target conferences and make them deny that you can do it. Get in their company and fight the fight to be better than them. It is on the head of the head person. That individual gets told what the answer is and he squirms. He has paralysis by analysis. It is unacceptable.

He needs to shock us with ideas. Not ask us for ideas. He needs to make us say, "that's too ambitious for us"... not the other way around. What does he think built greatness in this nation? Osmosis?

The irony of our university athletics is that we have to do everything a thriving athletic system does. It isn't like operating a much larger vibrant athletic system is fraught with greater components. In fact, the lower you operate, the lower the class of problems you have. I feel like we're fighting to maintain an old pickup that we need to haul our cargo. If you have a fleet of 3 new trucks, you may think paying for them is going to be a struggle... but as you pick up more cargo delivery, the money comes in. And, you aren't constantly worried about the single pickup breaking down.

We are not serving ourselves well by "waiting to see how things go". That's a loser's plan to remain a loser. Borrow, build and over commit to the outside world. And do not fear failure. Failure happens every day to great people and organizations on their way to success. I'd be concerned for T-Joe if I thought someone was either going to die or even go without a meal, if he gets too aggressive and fails. But, that is not going to happen. He may have to _____ slap a few old screwballs he formerly considered "advisors"... but I guarantee after he _____ slaps the first one... he's going to have a hard time not balling up his fist and running around punching their teeth out for being horrible advisors.

Time is running out. Over commit today, T-Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I have an issue with this thread from inception. Any time fans complain how lame our administration "leads" our athletic system... someone finds a way to turn it around on the fans. Do not accept the role that is squarely placed in the laps of people paid to lead our system, and develop all of the answers to OUR questions.

I'm an excessively polite person when I have a conversation with someone worthy of respect. I'm equally impolite when I'm in the presence of people using simple (impressive to them, but not to me) skills to divert the flow of responsibility. Our admin has the direct responsibility for everything happening, decision-wise, at UL. They are the only ones with the keys to the required locks. If you think any individual among the fan base, or group in the fan base, have that ability/authority, you are mistaken.

This forum gets asked about 20 times a year... well, what would you do? That is what we as fans need to fight as a group. Any person that flips the issue back at the fans needs to be tard and feathered. The answers are quite simple and they are but a few. Borrow and build and commit to the best in class that you are going to surpass them. Go grab the faces of target conferences and make them deny that you can do it. Get in their company and fight the fight to be better than them. It is on the head of the head person. That individual gets told what the answer is and he squirms. He has paralysis by analysis. It is unacceptable.

He needs to shock us with ideas. Not ask us for ideas. He needs to make us say, "that's too ambitious for us"... not the other way around. What does he think built greatness in this nation? Osmosis?

The irony of our university athletics is that we have to do everything a thriving athletic system does. It isn't like operating a much larger vibrant athletic system is fraught with greater components. In fact, the lower you operate, the lower the class of problems you have. I feel like we're fighting to maintain an old pickup that we need to haul our cargo. If you have a fleet of 3 new trucks, you may think paying for them is going to be a struggle... but as you pick up more cargo delivery, the money comes in. And, you aren't constantly worried about the single pickup breaking down.

We are not serving ourselves well by "waiting to see how things go". That's a loser's plan to remain a loser. Borrow, build and over commit to the outside world. And do not fear failure. Failure happens every day to great people and organizations on their way to success. I'd be concerned for T-Joe if I thought someone was either going to die or even go without a meal, if he gets too aggressive and fails. But, that is not going to happen. He may have to _____ slap a few old screwballs he formerly considered "advisors"... but I guarantee after he _____ slaps the first one... he's going to have a hard time not balling up his fist and running around punching their teeth out for being horrible advisors.

Time is running out. Over commit today, T-Joe!
    I like it J1M, I feel the same.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12