Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 227

Thread: Let me ask all of you a question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Let me ask all of you a question

    I read a lot of "the Sun Belt sucks." "Our administration sucks." "Our previous administration sucks." "Georgia Southern and App State suck" "New Mexico State sucks."

    I want to put aside what we should have done. We can argue about that all day.

    My question is, how to we make the best of this situation, or even better yet, how do we fix it?

    It's a serious question. We can't do a damn thing about what has happened except point fingers, which solves nothing.

    What steps would you take, starting today, if you had influence, in order to make us better??

    Because, really, that's the only thing that matters.

    Please don't use this thread to bash the adminstration, the commissioner, me, or anyone else.

    Where is a solution??


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    I read a lot of "the Sun Belt sucks." "Our administration sucks." "Our previous administration sucks." "Georgia Southern and App State suck" "New Mexico State sucks."

    I want to put aside what we should have done. We can argue about that all day.

    My question is, how to we make the best of this situation, or even better yet, how do we fix it?

    It's a serious question. We can't do a damn thing about what has happened except point fingers, which solves nothing.

    What steps would you take, starting today, if you had influence, in order to make us better??

    Because, really, that's the only thing that matters.

    Please don't use this thread to bash the adminstration, the commissioner, me, or anyone else.

    Where is a solution??
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    +1


  4. #4
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    9,300

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Yea, but pointing fingers makes us feel better when we are helpless to do anything. One thing you would hope we could do is learn not to make this mistake again. Of course we didn't learn that the last time this happened, hence it happened again.

    If I had influence that would mean I had money and I would be acting like Davidson at Tech playing puppetmaster for UL athletics and buying our way into CUSA or better. But since I don't I'm going to have to sit back and watch all we have worked for sink into the pile of d1aa ____ that the Belt is about to become.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    For starters keep try Hud as long as possible that man is infectious and motivating not to just the players but to everyone.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    755

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by NO BOWL 11 Grad View Post
    For starters keep try Hud as long as possible that man is infectious and motivating not to just the players but to everyone.
    He's gone after next year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    3,658

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    A few suggestions from me.

    Raise all ticket prices to comparable CUSA ticket prices.
    Maximize parking and tailgating revenue. That means a lot more than what they charge now.
    Raise minimum levels of membership in the RCAF to $500.
    Increase marketing of the athletic program. Paid for by the increases above.

    Just a few. I'll think of others.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    5,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    I read a lot of "the Sun Belt sucks." "Our administration sucks." "Our previous administration sucks." "Georgia Southern and App State suck" "New Mexico State sucks."

    I want to put aside what we should have done. We can argue about that all day.

    My question is, how to we make the best of this situation, or even better yet, how do we fix it?

    It's a serious question. We can't do a damn thing about what has happened except point fingers, which solves nothing.

    What steps would you take, starting today, if you had influence, in order to make us better??

    Because, really, that's the only thing that matters.

    Please don't use this thread to bash the adminstration, the commissioner, me, or anyone else.

    Where is a solution??
    I'm no expert, but here's my contribution to the collective "solution:"

    - A specific master plan.
    When you say, "we're committed to the highest level of college athletics," what do you percieve as "the hightest level?" How do you plan to get there, specifically?

    - Immediately stop diverting money from RCAF to academics, and stop pretending you're not.

    - Assume the worst is going to happen and plan accordingly. Start making decisions looking forward, instead of waiting for things to happen.

    - Ask questions of schools like FIU, NT, MT, WKU (soon), LT, FAU, etc. "What steps did you take to put yourselves in a postition to be attractive to other conferences? What can we do to convince you to work on our behalf to get us in?" Swallow your pride and ask questions of those who are successful. FIU accomplished in less than a decade what we couldn't in 100 years. How? Miami? Bullcrap. They took certain steps that we didn't. Go find out what those steps were.

    - Start raising money for a new football coach, because you've got one p*ssed off coach that's looking for his ticket out of here.

    - Make it clear that we are the University of Louisiana, and that we're not a package deal with ULM, like some may believe.

    This is all assuming we're serious about "highest level" athletics, and not just paying lip service to that. Actions seem to indicate otherwise.

    My $.02.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Win whatever is left of the conference! Let's not forget that we have never been sole conference champs.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,773

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    I would hire our best salesman in Lafayette and put him in charge of contacting CUSA to tell him all the good things this University has to offer.

    If we have to remain in the Sun Belt, then so be it. But if we don't do anything at all to promote ourselves to CUSA in this very liquid movement of conference members... then that is a major problem.

    Not getting accepted is one thing... but not even trying is pathetic.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFan View Post
    He's gone after next year.


    I know I was trying to be positive and have wishful thinking. For the first time in a long time

    You never know it could be this year.. we have no clue whats going to come his way.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,033

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Our administrators need to change their strategy with regards to how we go about increasing our athletic budget. Easier said than done, but that's the answer. Our athletic budget needs to be doubled, and we don't have a sugar daddy that can do it.

    The RCAF needs to increase don't get me wrong, but it can only get us so far.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Of course we didn't learn that the last time this happened, hence it happened again.
    That's pretty much where I'm at on this thing. We're supposed to have a new administration at Martin Hall, but it's almost like we're going to "Authement/Blanco" this thing again.

    Another poster has the right idea in that we try to figure out what made the other schools attractive to the more "prestigious" conferences. Then again, you would think that by now, the "master plan" to make us attractive would already be in play.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    1) Have a plan AND MAKE IT PUBLIC. (If you don't have one then get public input in the development of the plan)
    2) Be truthful and open with your fan base. Sometimes the athletic department looks like it's run by the CIA.
    3) Make realistic estimates of costs and time schedules. If you can meet a schedule then let your fan base know and the reason why.
    4) The administration and athletic department need to make a statement ASAP relative to their position and opinions as to what happened this week that will give the fan base some feeling that they are on top of the situation. I have not seen any statement by either.

    Unfortunately, we are far behind so many other schools. We are getting better but everybody else is getting better faster. I always figured FIU and FAu would leave because they are two huge schools. Both with enrollments as big or bigger than LSU. I thought that WKU would be next because of their budget.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Sort of like asking the 47% who didnt vote for Obama for a solution now Jay... All the cr@p has happened.. BUT DONT TALK ABOUT THAT... give me a solution...

    Ok I'll try...

    1. Start off by putting out a friggin plan for the future.... show it... I know we don't have the money but let the world know there is a friggin plan.

    2. Tell us how much it will cost and how much we have. Then there is a Delta that we as fans have to work towards filling. No one knows what or where there money is going right now.

    3. Identify what those things are that were lacking when we said we were not ready for CUSA membership.

    4. Tell us what we are doing to fix those deficiencies. If we don't have the money then say that is the deficiency, i.e. we have a plan to improve the quality of the football stadium and add 10,000 seats bringing us to 40,000. But we lack $25 million to make this happen. Identify options to fill that need and let the community know that unless we fill that need we can't begin.

    5. Appoint a committee whose sole purpose is to reach out to targeted conferences and sell this university. Have a real plan in hand. My guess is you would find a chicken or the egg situation. Interest IF you fulfill your plan, and money IF you get into a conference of worth. Reasonable people can figure out the chiken or the egg

    The theme here, withour bashing... well maybe a little.... is to tell the truth and produce a product. A plan. With pricetags.. with reasonable goals... Let your fan base see you making strides and not APPEARING to be caught with your head in the sand when these things happen....


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Playing by Jay's rules....

    Embrace the belt. Focus on getting as much TV time as possible and continue to win and support the team...become what Boise St. was to the Mountain West, which is the dominant force that put them on the map and let others take notice.

    Embrace the fact that the best thing for us is to continually, year after year go to the New Orleans...hell, make it known that it is the Cajuns Bowl. And for those that say that CUSA is a New Orleans Bowl tie in...when is the last time CUSA played in it?

    Quit whining over Conference USA, who cares. We dominated them the last couple years of football and this should continue. OK, they have better bowls(I guess), but put faith that as long as the Belt keeps producing more and more 6+ win teams, bowl payouts will continue to climb.

    Have faith that the Belt is currently working with a PR firm to change it's image and possibly it's name.

    Have faith that the Belt will get the horrible ESPN tv contract re-worked and that new contracts will come from the likes of NBC sports and Fox Sports and being that we are the best team, we will be the team focused on and broadcasted.

    Continue to support the team like we have and the dominoes will fall. Conference USA is and was FAR from where the sites of this program should be. Think bigger picture.


  17. #17
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,059

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    I'm no expert, but here's my contribution to the collective "solution:"

    - A specific master plan.
    When you say, "we're committed to the highest level of college athletics," what do you percieve as "the hightest level?" How do you plan to get there, specifically?

    - Immediately stop diverting money from RCAF to academics, and stop pretending you're not.

    - Assume the worst is going to happen and plan accordingly. Start making decisions looking forward, instead of waiting for things to happen.

    - Ask questions of schools like FIU, NT, MT, WKU (soon), LT, FAU, etc. "What steps did you take to put yourselves in a postition to be attractive to other conferences? What can we do to convince you to work on our behalf to get us in?" Swallow your pride and ask questions of those who are successful. FIU accomplished in less than a decade what we couldn't in 100 years. How? Miami? Bullcrap. They took certain steps that we didn't. Go find out what those steps were.

    - Start raising money for a new football coach, because you've got one p*ssed off coach that's looking for his ticket out of here.

    - Make it clear that we are the University of Louisiana, and that we're not a package deal with ULM, like some may believe.

    This is all assuming we're serious about "highest level" athletics, and not just paying lip service to that. Actions seem to indicate otherwise.

    My $.02.

    This is pretty much it. And your first comment is the most important one: have a PLAN that includes your vision and goals for your program...as well as an outline of VERY specific steps that will get you there...along with a TIMETABLE by which you want to reach them. THEN...very important...SHARE THAT PLAN WITH YOUR FAN BASE AND POTENTIAL BIG FINANCIAL SUPPORTERS.

    That...the PLAN...will drive everything else. Short of that? You're just walking around clueless and half blind...and we've all seen where that will lead.

  18. #18
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,059

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Sort of like asking the 47% who didnt vote for Obama for a solution now Jay... All the cr@p has happened.. BUT DONT TALK ABOUT THAT... give me a solution...

    Ok I'll try...

    1. Start off by putting out a friggin plan for the future.... show it... I know we don't have the money but let the world know there is a friggin plan.

    2. Tell us how much it will cost and how much we have. Then there is a Delta that we as fans have to work towards filling. No one knows what or where there money is going right now.

    3. Identify what those things are that were lacking when we said we were not ready for CUSA membership.

    4. Tell us what we are doing to fix those deficiencies. If we don't have the money then say that is the deficiency, i.e. we have a plan to improve the quality of the football stadium and add 10,000 seats bringing us to 40,000. But we lack $25 million to make this happen. Identify options to fill that need and let the community know that unless we fill that need we can't begin.

    5. Appoint a committee whose sole purpose is to reach out to targeted conferences and sell this university. Have a real plan in hand. My guess is you would find a chicken or the egg situation. Interest IF you fulfill your plan, and money IF you get into a conference of worth. Reasonable people can figure out the chiken or the egg

    The theme here, withour bashing... well maybe a little.... is to tell the truth and produce a product. A plan. With pricetags.. with reasonable goals... Let your fan base see you making strides and not APPEARING to be caught with your head in the sand when these things happen....
    Great stuff!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Trying to keep this on track. IF I'm the guy with influence (UL administration) I get a BIG chip on my shoulder.

    I act like our Head Football Coach and go make things happen that they & others didn't or don't think could happen. Get out of the office on a plane and don't come back home until you have had face to face frank discussions with anyone that you think could influence future alignments for the betterment of the Cajun program.

    Without that I don't know if anything else including money will make a difference. Our leadership has to get an attitude and let it be known. The nice guy approach and not rocking the boat hasn't worked.


  20. #20
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    9,300

    Default Re: Let me ask all of you a question

    Have a plan (NOW)
    Share the plan
    Fundraise
    Implement the plan


Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •