Thread: Locals mixed on Saban's use of word

I have a Question Locals mixed on Saban's use of word

BATON ROUGE - The term "coonass," and the vulgarity or pride that comes with it, apparently is in the ear of the beholder.

"It is highly offensive," Warren Perrin, the president of the Council for Development of French in Louisiana in Lafayette, said on Thursday.

Perrin, a native of Erath, has been around Cajuns for most of his life. He has been interviewed many times recently since an audio tape of former LSU football coach Nick Saban surfaced in which Saban tells a story of an LSU fan angry at him for becoming the coach of LSU rival Alabama.

Saban was first told that story by LSU Board of Supervisors member Charlie Weems of Alexandria on Jan. 3. That was the day Saban took the job at Alabama and the night LSU beat Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. Weems, who is good friends with Saban and speaks to him regularly, was walking around New Orleans before the game in an LSU shirt and bumped into a construction worker. The worker, who had a Cajun accent, said Saban going to Alabama was like your best friend sleeping with your wife.

Saban used the word in later telling the story to a group of Miami reporters following a press conference. A tape of the story then got circulated on various radio stations over the last few weeks and became a hot topic on the Internet. Saban, through a University of Alabama release, then apologized on Wednesday for using language he doesn't condone and that he can "understand how some would take offense."

Still, on Thursday after a speaking engagement in Montgomery, Ala., Saban gave a passing comment to reporters as he left.

"It's a term of endearment down in Louisiana," he said.

The rest of the story

Glenn Guilbeau
    gguilbeau@gannett.com

Default Re: Locals mixed on Saban's use of word

People are hipocrits. Nick Saban hasn't changed, he was always rude. The only thing different is his affiliation. While at LSU he could have said this and it would have never made the news. Now that he's at Bama, people won't stop talking about it. Honestly, I use the word to describe myself. People get offended entirely too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Things must really be slow in the world of sports. Who cares what this guy says. Let it it die. I agree, some people get offended way too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref
    Things must really be slow in the world of sports. Who cares what this guy says. Let it it die. I agree, some people get offended way too easily.
    CJR is right, they are more offended becasue they thought he was god and they think he betrayed them. not because he used that word.