_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Students to vote on Master Plan fee in October

Default Students to vote on Master Plan fee in October

On Aug. 21, the UL System Board approved a referendum for the October SGA elections that will give students the option to vote on a self-assessed fee of $7.50 per credit hour known as the Master Plan Advancement Program or MAP.

Students will be able to vote on the proposal on Oct. 8 and 9 as part of the SGA elections on ULink. The idea first passed through SGA on July 24 and was approved by the UL System Board last month.

MAP would bump the cost of a 12-hour annual tuition from $5362 to $5542, an extra $90 a semester. The fee will have a max of 15 hours, so any hours after the initial 15 will not be fined. The money will strictly be used to forward the Master Plan on campus.

The rest of the story
    By Mike Francingues

Blog Entries

Default Re: Students to vote on Master Plan fee in October

"fined"

??? Idiot reporter.

Good grief..."fined".....

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I thought the same thing when I read it. "Fined"?

My thoughts exactly. How about assessed! While also not correct, even taxed would have been better than fined. I suppose that's how the "reporter" views the fee.

Crap like that is why it won't pass

Blog Entries

It's an "investment" in the value of your degree.

raginsaints is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I doubt this thing passes.

The article is disconcerting due to the "fined" language, no doubt. There must be a way someone can impress upon the current student body the impact of this decision. Can the Alumni Association take an add out in the Verm in the next few weeks promoting the "yes" vote? If not, and I can see why they might not be able to, can we, the raginpagin brain trust/diehards/moneybags/movers and shakers/etc., find a way to educate our current student brothers and sisters. Would billboards work? Advertiser adds? 100,000 post-it-notes with positive implications of the vote all over campus two days before the students vote? Hell, I don't know, I'm just chunking ideas against the wall.

I do know that trying to squeeze and extra $180 bucks out of the student me would have been tough. "Damn, that is a butt load of nickel beer," says the former student me, but now that I am wiser (read older) I can see the impact, and in the long run the vast majority of these guys and gals will never remember the $700 or so bucks from their undergrad days. But the university, THEIR university, will benefit for years and years. And the "front porch" kind of pride and visible impact that athletics brings today would be huge for these soon to be alumni. It is kind of like trying to convince people in their mid 20's to start putting away for their retirement. But I do feel the need to impress upon them what this could mean for their school, their alma matter.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I honestly think it has a better chance of passing since it isnt just an athletic improvement fee. If students get to see the master plan with all the benefits it will bring to the school and still vote no, then they are just being narrow-minded. This is one of the more important votes in recent history, for campus and athletics.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Also, has anyone emailed the Editor on this subject yet? Its fairly unprofessional to editorialize an article in this way

elizabethrose8@gmail.com

This thing will pass...if anyone knew what went on for student elections you would not be worried one bit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Also, has anyone emailed the Editor on this subject yet? Its fairly unprofessional to editorialize an article in this way

elizabethrose8@gmail.com
    Email sent.

Blog Entries

Elizabeth's quick response:

"Thank you so much for your email.
    Would you mind if we printed it in next week's issue as a letter to the editor? We would print your full name with it.
    I'll be sure to forward your email to Mike as well so he understands your concerns.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth"

I hope this passes and I think it has a chance. It's for the Master Plan, and not mentioned at all for Athletics. It will, no doubt have an impact to Athletics because it improves the campus and gives the University a revenue stream for those improvements. We all know if the University lacks money, which it always seems to, then they may look to Athletics to make a cut. It there are funds available to accomplish the things the University needs, then they can let Athletics grow and not interfere with that growth. It's a great way for the University to get some things done on campus that have a direct effect on the Students. I hope they realize this, it is very needed.

Blog Entries

We shall see. We've raised a generation or more with the thinking that someone else pays for everything.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We shall see. We've raised a generation or more with the thinking that someone else pays for everything.
    Fortunately, not mine.. They will vote for this.

Z

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Fortunately, not mine.. They will vote for this.

Z
    Someone always wants to point out the exception(al). You raised your children right, Z.

I hope the "voting students" vote this in. When they are well out of college they'll well know that they did the right thing.

As nervous as I am, I take solace in knowing that most of these fees have passed in recent history.

Blog Entries

All I know is UL is the lowest priced, FINE(ed) University in the Country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast