Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: All-Pro Cajuns

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delcambre
    Posts
    263

    Ragin' Cajuns All-Pro Cajuns

    Can anyone help me name all of the Cajuns that have played in a pro-bowl?

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,497
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Weldon Humble ( professional All-Star game )
    Rafael Septien
    Clarence Verdin
    Todd Scott
    Brian Mitchell
    Jake Delhomme
    Charles Tillman

    More?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delcambre
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Weldon Humble ( professional All-Star game )
    Rafael Septien
    Clarence Verdin
    Todd Scott
    Brian Mitchell
    Jake Delhomme
    Charles Tillman

    More?
    Turbine...are those All-Pro or Pro-bowl?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delcambre
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    can you recall if Orlando Thomas made either?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,672

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Weldon Humble ( professional All-Star game )
    Rafael Septien
    Clarence Verdin
    Todd Scott
    Brian Mitchell
    Jake Delhomme
    Charles Tillman

    More?
    My first home game as a student, Todd Scott hit a dude so hard I thought he had killed him. The crowd didn't even really cheer as much as gasp.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    836

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,497
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunatc View Post
    can you recall if Orlando Thomas made either?
    I desperately want Orlando Thomas to be a Pro Bowler so if anyone can find outside (of local) confirmation, that would be great.

    The only place/person I can find stating Orlando Thomas made the Pro Bowl was Bruce Brown and his archived stories on the Athletic Network and a few other "local" references. Of course if his source was Orlando then it would trump other sources.

    Orlando is on the list of the Vikings 50 Greatest Players of All-Time and while they list accomplishments they don't list Pro Bowl for Orlando.

    Even their focus page on Orlando Thomas doesn't mention Pro Bowl.


    DataBaseFootball Lists Vikings 1995 Pro Bowl Players as Warren Moon, Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel and John Randle.


    It is real hard to make the Pro Bowl your rookie year and should have been a Pro Bowler is not the same as was.

    Perhaps if someone can find Bruce Brown he may have a better source, I would love to be wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delcambre
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I desperately want Orlando Thomas to be a Pro Bowler so if anyone can find outside (of local) confirmation, that would be great.

    The only place/person I can find stating Orlando Thomas made the Pro Bowl was Bruce Brown and his archived stories on the Athletic Network and a few other "local" references. Of course if his source was Orlando then it would trump other sources.

    Orlando is on the list of the Vikings 50 Greatest Players of All-Time and while they list accomplishments they don't list Pro Bowl for Orlando.

    Even their focus page on Orlando Thomas doesn't mention Pro Bowl.


    DataBaseFootball Lists Vikings 1995 Pro Bowl Players as Warren Moon, Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel and John Randle.


    It is real hard to make the Pro Bowl your rookie year and should have been a Pro Bowler is not the same as was.

    Perhaps if someone can find Bruce Brown he may have a better source, I would love to be wrong.
    solid reply as always turbine

  9. #9
    MelRock's Avatar
    MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,535

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I desperately want Orlando Thomas to be a Pro Bowler so if anyone can find outside (of local) confirmation, that would be great.

    The only place/person I can find stating Orlando Thomas made the Pro Bowl was Bruce Brown and his archived stories on the Athletic Network and a few other "local" references. Of course if his source was Orlando then it would trump other sources.

    Orlando is on the list of the Vikings 50 Greatest Players of All-Time and while they list accomplishments they don't list Pro Bowl for Orlando.

    Even their focus page on Orlando Thomas doesn't mention Pro Bowl.


    DataBaseFootball Lists Vikings 1995 Pro Bowl Players as Warren Moon, Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel and John Randle.


    It is real hard to make the Pro Bowl your rookie year and should have been a Pro Bowler is not the same as was.

    Perhaps if someone can find Bruce Brown he may have a better source, I would love to be wrong.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Thomas
    Career highlights and awards
    1x All-Pro selection (1995)
    Led NFL in interceptions in 1995 with 9

  10. #10
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,568

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I desperately want Orlando Thomas to be a Pro Bowler so if anyone can find outside (of local) confirmation, that would be great.

    The only place/person I can find stating Orlando Thomas made the Pro Bowl was Bruce Brown and his archived stories on the Athletic Network and a few other "local" references. Of course if his source was Orlando then it would trump other sources.

    Orlando is on the list of the Vikings 50 Greatest Players of All-Time and while they list accomplishments they don't list Pro Bowl for Orlando.

    Even their focus page on Orlando Thomas doesn't mention Pro Bowl.


    DataBaseFootball Lists Vikings 1995 Pro Bowl Players as Warren Moon, Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel and John Randle.


    It is real hard to make the Pro Bowl your rookie year and should have been a Pro Bowler is not the same as was.

    Perhaps if someone can find Bruce Brown he may have a better source, I would love to be wrong.
    Try this one Turbine.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...T/ThomOr20.htm

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,497
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Thomas
    Career highlights and awards
    1x All-Pro selection (1995)
    Led NFL in interceptions in 1995 with 9
    Thanks, the actual roster on the WikiPedia 1995 All-Pro Team listing doesn't show him.

    If he was on the 1995 Pro Bowl roster we need to start a campaign to get him listed by the Vikings and every site that has a listing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Broussard
    Posts
    592

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    The original question was list which Cajuns had played in a Pro Bowl. Orlando Thomas never played in a pro bowl. He was voted onto numerous all pro teams by media and other outlets but never technically a Pro Bowler.

    GEAUX UL!


  13. #13
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,568

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    I thought it was funny that he was the second team All-Pro safety in 1995 but didn't make the pro bowl. I thought that the All Pro team was much harder to get selected to as it combines both conferences.


  14. #14
    MelRock's Avatar
    MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,535

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Did you kneaux former Cajun Brian Mitchell is 2nd on the NFL's list of all-purpose yards with 23,330 yards behind only Jerry Rice's 24,546. Mitchell is only 216 behind Rice despite playing 80 games less than Rice. Mitchell holds or shares 22 NFL records. He also led the league in combined yards every season from 1994 through 1996, and again in 1998. He is one of only two players to lead the league in that statistical category at least four times. The other is Hall of Famer Jim Brown, who did it five times.

    At Louisiana, Mitchell became the first player in NCAA history to pass for more than 5,000 yards (5,447) and rush for more than 3,000 yards (3,335). He also held the NCAA record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (47). As a senior, he rushed for 1,311 yards and passed for 1,966 yards while accounting for 25 touchdowns (six passing, 19 rushing). Yet, in his college career, he never returned a punt or a kickoff. In his NFL career he recovered 20 fumbles, scored 29 touchdowns (four kickoff returns, nine punt returns, 12 rushing, and four receiving) and threw for a touchdown pass.


    Why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,497
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    When Mitchell retired he was #1

    Ironically Brian passed up Jerry Rice in his final NFL season and Jerry had to play on to regain the title.


  16. #16
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,597

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Brian mentioned to me after I asked the same thing

    --- that there are people working on it!!!! Got to getter DONE !!!!


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delcambre
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Brian mentioned to me after I asked the same thing

    --- that there are people working on it!!!! Got to getter DONE !!!!

    I sent out a request to have him considered for the college football hall of fame...come to find out to qualify for the hall of MUST be named on a major all american team...talk about not fair to the smaller conference schools. 8-(

    He was a college football legend (as well as an NFL legend), but considering his accomplishments, I can't think of a better person to be placed in the Hall.

  18. #18
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,568

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Hall of Fame requirements


    Hall of Fame Eligibility, Screening & Procedure
    Eligibility & Criteria

    To be eligible for the Hall of Fame players must have been named a First Team All-America by a major/national selector as recognized and utilized by the NCAA for their consensus All-America teams; played their last year of intercollegiate football at least ten years prior; played within the last 50 years and cannot be currently playing professional football. Coaches must have coached a minimum of 10 years and 100 games as a head coach; won at least 60% of their games; and be retired from coaching for at least three years. If a coach is retired and over the age of 70, there is no waiting period. If he is over the age of 75, he is eligible as an active coach. In both cases, the candidate's post-football record as a citizen may also be weighed.

    Once nominated for consideration, all player candidates are submitted to one of eight District Screening Committees, depending on their school's geographic location, which conducts a vote to determine who will appear on the ballot and represent their respective districts. Each year, approximately 15 candidates, who are not selected for the Hall of Fame, will be named automatic holdovers and will bypass the district screening process and automatically appear on the ballot the following year. Additionally, the Veterans Committee (formerly known as the Honors Review Committee) may make recommendations to Honors Court for exceptions that allow for the induction of players who played more than 50 years ago and coaches who have not won at least 60 percent of their games.

    Of the 4.72 million individuals who have played college football, only 866 players have earned induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. From the coaching ranks, 186 individuals have achieved Hall of Fame distinction.


    Procedure Guide

    1. Nominations may be made by any dues-paying member of the National Football Foundation, or by athletic directors, coaches, or CoSIDA members representing dues-paying colleges or universities.
    2. Statistics and records, personal recommendations by coaches, fellow players, and opponents are all considered.
    3. The National Football Foundation staff will screen each candidate. After ascertaining that nominations satisfy the requirements, the nominees are submitted to the District Screening Committee (DSC) nearest to which the nominee played. New nominees as well as individuals who appeared on the previous year's ballot will be included in this process.
    4. The top vote getters from the DSC are forwarded to The National Football Foundation staff for inclusion on the ballot. (The ballot also carries names of candidates held over from the previous year. These carryover names are decided upon by the Honors Court).
    5. Any candidate not selected to the current year's Hall of Fame class will automatically go through the voting procedures again the following year. There is no need to nominate the candidate again.
    6. The ballot selection is approved by the Awards Committee of The National Football Foundation.
    7. The ballot of players and coaches is mailed to all dues-paying members for a member vote, of which results are provided to the Honors Court as part of the information for its meeting. The Honors Court selects the Class.


    Criteria

    1. FIRST AND FOREMOST, A PLAYER MUST HAVE RECEIVED MAJOR FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICA RECOGNITION.
    2. A player becomes eligible for consideration by the Foundation's Honors Court 10 years after his last year of intercollegiate football played.
    3. While each nominee's football achievements are of prime consideration, his post-football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and his fellow man with love of his country. Consideration may also be given for academic honors and whether or not the candidate earned a college degree.
    4. In accordance with the 50-year rule,* players must have played their last year of intercollegiate football within the last 50 years. For example, to be eligible for the 2005 ballot, the player must have played his last year in 1955 or thereafter. In addition, players who are playing professionally and coaches who are coaching on the professional level are not eligible until after they retire.
    5. A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years of age. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage*.

    *Those players that do not comply with the 50-year rule may still be eligible for consideration by the FBS and Divisional Honors Review Committees, which examine unique cases.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Did you kneaux former Cajun Brian Mitchell is 2nd on the NFL's list of all-purpose yards with 23,330 yards behind only Jerry Rice's 24,546. Mitchell is only 216 behind Rice despite playing 80 games less than Rice. Mitchell holds or shares 22 NFL records. He also led the league in combined yards every season from 1994 through 1996, and again in 1998. He is one of only two players to lead the league in that statistical category at least four times. The other is Hall of Famer Jim Brown, who did it five times.

    At Louisiana, Mitchell became the first player in NCAA history to pass for more than 5,000 yards (5,447) and rush for more than 3,000 yards (3,335). He also held the NCAA record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (47). As a senior, he rushed for 1,311 yards and passed for 1,966 yards while accounting for 25 touchdowns (six passing, 19 rushing). Yet, in his college career, he never returned a punt or a kickoff. In his NFL career he recovered 20 fumbles, scored 29 touchdowns (four kickoff returns, nine punt returns, 12 rushing, and four receiving) and threw for a touchdown pass.


    Why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?
    Is he being mentioned for consideration each year? I know that for many players, it takes a few years before they're voted in. Anybody that holds or shares 22 NFL records belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame for sure.

  20. #20
    MelRock's Avatar
    MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,535

    Default Re: All-Pro Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Is he being mentioned for consideration each year? I know that for many players, it takes a few years before they're voted in. Anybody that holds or shares 22 NFL records belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame for sure.
    He told me he is being told it will happen. Hopefully it will happen soon. I would love to see Brian go in to the HOF.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •