Thread: Alumni Retail Focus Group

Ragin' Cajuns Alumni Retail Focus Group

Heard about this earlier today...

The UL Lafayette Office of Communications & Marketing needs your help! We are currently looking for alumni to participate in one of our two upcoming focus groups in order to gather vital information about the university's merchandise, apparel, and retailers.

As of now, we have two dates set for focus groups to meet:

-Session #1
    Tuesday June 12 starting at 6:00pm
    Alumni Center Board Room located behind the UL Alumni House
    -Session #2
    Wednesday June 20 starting at 6:00pm
    Alumni Center Board Room located behind the UL Alumni House

Those who wish to attend only need to be present at one of the dates above. Due to limited space, we are allowing 20 people for each session. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP by emailing Conor Runkel at crunk@louisiana.edu and indicate which session you will be able to make. You will be contacted afterwards with further information. The first 20 people to RSVP will be asked to attend the session they requested.

Default Re: Alumni Retail Focus Group

I'm assuming the second session is June 19th and not the 20th? The 20th is a Wednesday. Just curious as to why they're having it in such a small venue.

You are correct sir. From what I can tell, they are trying to limit the amount of participants so that those who do attend can get their voices heard. It is easier to handle 20 people than 100 in one sitting. For those who cannot make it, they will be sending out a survey later on to gain more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrazy View Post
    You are correct sir. From what I can tell, they are trying to limit the amount of participants so that those who do attend can get their voices heard. It is easier to handle 20 people than 100 in one sitting. For those who cannot make it, they will be sending out a survey later on to gain more feedback.
    I agree. Twenty is hard enough. I've already voiced my opinion and had a discussion. I like the way we are headed. Definitely an attempt to unify the marketing approach and provide a more consistent product. As of now the yellow isn't going away but it defintely is fading from the limelight.

Who in the hell likes the "yellow"?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrazy View Post
    If you are interested in attending, please RSVP by emailing Conor Runkel at crunk@louisiana.edu and indicate which session you will be able to make.
    What an awesome email address.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

...or a reddish shirt...trimmed in yellow...that reads "ul-LAFAYETTE"... with the damn LAFAYETTE being the dominant word/name on the shirt or hat! Who the hell is designing and/or authorizing that crap?

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Let me know when they get rid of the yellow, the black, the non-vermilion red, the silly font style, the flaming veggie, and the use of "lafayette" anywhere on athletic paraphenalia.

Until then, anyhting else they do will fail in its primary purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Let me know when they get rid of the yellow, the black, the non-vermilion red, the silly font style, the flaming veggie, and the use of "lafayette" anywhere on athletic paraphenalia.

Until then, anyhting else they do will fail in its primary purpose.
    Agree 100%

Just to refocus the thread, the focus group is about university apparel and merchandise. They don't want to hear a bull gator vs. catahoula debate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Just to refocus the thread, the focus group is about university apparel and merchandise. They don't want to hear a bull gator vs. catahoula debate.
    I like the pepper accent in the same manner and taste that LACOSTE used the Izod alligator.

Actually, when it comes to apparel UL could sell a fun Zydeco BullGator world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    So what part of this thread makes you think anyone here could help a FOCUS group? lol

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    So what part of this thread makes you think anyone here could help a FOCUS group? lol
    The 900 pound gorilla in the room is the rejection of @LAFAYETTE and the branding of LOUISIANA. They need to give people what they want.

I see some absurd interpretations of UL apparel in stores, most notably discount stores, including mustard yellow shirts.

Sales are probably bad and they need to provide people things they are likely to buy and want to associate themselves with.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Focus, people!!! Focus on the subject of the thread. Open another mascot thread if necessary.

Blog Entries

There needs to be as many brands as possible that all point to UL. Louisiana, UL, Ragin' Cajuns, Geaux-Cajuns, LAdy Cajuns, Cajun Country, even the pepper focused logo on a line of clothing.

Give fans as many reasons to buy apparel as you can think of. One brand focus and the wardrobe is done then the income stops.

Build a brand around the school color, I read an article on UT yesterday that only referred to them as "Burnt Orange" I think it said something like "Breaking down the Burnt Orange"

Not just plain red "Vermilion Red"

Default Re: Mascot Focus Group

and how many from this site is in the focus group?

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    There needs to be as many brands as possible that all point to UL. Louisiana, UL, Ragin' Cajuns, Geaux-Cajuns, LAdy Cajuns, Cajun Country, even the pepper focused logo on a line of clothing.

Give fans as many reasons to buy apparel as you can think of. One brand focus and the wardrobe is done then the income stops.

Build a brand around the school color, I read an article on UT yesterday that only referred to them as "Burnt Orange" I think it said something like "Breaking down the Burnt Orange"

Not just plain red "Vermilion Red"
    Turbine, there is usually only a small number of "brands" associated with a single entity. The idea of mixing your "branding" in with a multitude of apparel concepts is another thing altogether. You can use catchy slogans at various times to push product. But, you never want a mess of crazy things to become "your brand". In general, the most successful and well-known "brands" keep it very simple.

Default Re: Mascot Focus Group

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    and how many from this site is in the focus group?
    Not me. I can't make the 6 p.m. start time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Turbine, there is usually only a small number of "brands" associated with a single entity. The idea of mixing your "branding" in with a multitude of apparel concepts is another thing altogether. You can use catchy slogans at various times to push product. But, you never want a mess of crazy things to become "your brand". In general, the most successful and well-known "brands" keep it very simple.
    I believe multi branding sears the brain, in a good way. Flavor! I favor a “brand community” to create overall brand loyalty.

You start with the corporate brand followed by (in order) the umbrella brand, the family brand, individual or personal branding, and what I think you are referring to aspirational/inspirational branding and even a generic brand.

For a University keeping brand engagement through almost twenty different sports can be quite a task especially when you want part of the stage for 365 days a year.

Always with a focus on brand implementation, brand orientation, and of course branding faith.

Winning and graduating are keys to building branding faith and starts with student orientation.

You want your branding in reverse order to point towards the corporate brand while in some way shape or form going through the branding steps.

Examples of generic branding are the “I Love UL” hand sign. The term “Vermilion Red” and clothing to match as well as (to an extent) just the word Cajuns although Cajuns is also the family brand.

The examples of inspirational/aspirational branding can be as limitless as your imagination and should change every year and even every sport.

The individual branding is probably one of the easiest parts of branding since at a minimum all you have to do is splash the name (type) of the sport around.
    As mentioned Cajuns is a family brand and so is LAdy Cajuns

The Umbrella brand is Ragin’ Cajuns.

The Corporate brand is University of Louisiana.

All in all "very simple"

jmo