Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 195

Thread: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Camz View Post
    Not even sure where to begin. I said "usually". Not every year the best team wins the championship. If you think that 7 game series does the same job as 1 game series in crowning an accurate champion then i'm not sure what to tell you.

    What i posted had nothing to do with fan interest or keepign people involved in the series. I was only referring to the length of playoff series having an impact on letting the cream rise to the top.

    Example: OKC and MIA this year. Hard to argue these are not the two best teams in the NBA this season. Is it fail proof? Absolutely not, but it does a ton more than having a team luckbox a few one game series to get into a championship game.
    But what is the point. If the best team wins more likely than not even when you play one game compared to seven...then why do it at all. That just seems inefficient and really moronic. The cream rose to the top...it was called...THE SEASON. If the cream hasn't risen after that many games...then you have a flawed perception of reality. Luckbox...that's a funny word. Because apparently in the NFL...the same teams that are at the top of their game never get to play because they constantly get teams that "luckbox" their way into winning. The Bills went to the Super Bowl 4 years in a row...because they were the best team in the AFC. The Cowboys and the 49ers were always winning super bowls in the 80's and 90's because they were the best teams. None of those team "luckbox'ed it. What you are talking about is an anomaly. And it happens whether you play one game or seven. Ask the MLB wild card teams that have won World Series rings. It's comparable to the number of NFL wild card teams that have won Super Bowl rings. Luckbox...that is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard to explain an upset in football. You sir...need to find jesus.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by raginWaldo View Post
    CajunHawk, do you troll almost every thread that is started on Raginpagin for shiggles?
    Seems like you are in the middle of an argument with a new person atleast twice a week haha
    Resident troll...resident debater...resident skeptic...resident _______. I like to argue...should have been a lawyer I guess.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of playoffs to begin with. I'd like to see something similar to the European soccer model. No playoffs. Just a regular season where every team plays against each team twice during a season. One at home and one away. This means every team will have the same strength of schedule which makes it completely fair for all. It makes every single game matter. And it reduces variance since the sample size is much much bigger than what you would see in a typical playoff. The Champion of the English Premeir Leauge is always the best team in the Leauge. You can't always say that for the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB.

    And next I'll talk about how incredibly awesome promotion/relegation would be for college athletics.
    That would be a dynamite idea...they also don't play 7 game series in soccer.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,068

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by raginWaldo View Post
    You must play poker with that terminology lol
    Nailed it.

    Edit: I mean good read.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Great...but the NBA playoffs are done during a down time in sports...what in the hell else are people going to watch? If the NBA playoffs happened in October...what would you think their ratings would be? I would guess much much less.



    It's a sport that makes no sense being played on TV below the Maison-Dixon. I hope that doesn't offend people who used to Icegator fans but it's true. It's the same reason you don't see people getting yoked up about Curling. It's just not part of our culture.



    It's in the minority because people don't care about either sport. The minority are followers of both sports. It makes absolutely no sense. How ____ed would you be if the NFL Playoffs went to a best of 3 game series for each round of the playoffs? The argument for best of 7 is...it weeds out the non hackers. Which it possibly does. But what it does negatively is much much worse. It makes every game that isn't game 7...suck. You could do the NBA and NHL playoffs in 2 weeks, and people would watch it. One game at a time...what sense does it make to play 7 games to decide who is better? Didn't you already accomplish that through the actual season!!!! Baseball does series in the playoffs because that is how baseball is played. You don't usually play one team once then another team and so on. The baseball playoffs make sense to be done that way. The NBA is in no way run that way. Same with the NHL. It's just dragging it out...and by doing that are more than likely screwing themselves revenue wise.



    The regular season is the measuring stick...if you are not tall enough, you cannot ride the roller coaster. And I think you just made my point for me. The NBA and NHL don't work playing series during the season. That's an excellent point. Then why try to do that in the playoffs? If you cannot run long distances while wearing high heels...then they won't do any better in a short sprint. That is the reason they seem so out of place...because what the NBA and NHL are trying to do is fit a round peg in a square hole. You play a 7 game series the better team wins 9 times out of 10. Play one game the better team wins 8 times out of 10. It's delaying the inevitable. If a basketball team or a hockey team cannot beat another team in one game...you shouldn't give them mulligans. And it's awful TV. Game 1 in the NBA & NHL playoffs will never, ever, ever, decide the outcome of a series. Same with games 2 & 3. Why would anyone watch these games? They mean next to nothing. The whole idea is flawed and is a mess and the only reason they get ratings at all is because nothing else is on except the NBA & NHL playoffs for what seem like ages. We live in a world of short attention spans...and doing this is very counterproductive.



    OK...then why do it if the outcome would be similar. If you knew that 5 + 5 is 10, why would try to find the factors of 10? You know the answer!! Stop trying to complicate things!!! Play one game, get it done, stop clogging up Sportcenter with meaningless highlights of games that decide nothing!!! This is what is known as a Rube Goldberg machine. A highly complex, and overtly pointless contraption designed to perform a simple task. The NBA & NHL playoffs...are Rube Goldberg machines. There is no need for a best of 7 series in either basketball or hockey...the NCAA proves this with uncanny results in both sports.
    Again, we get it. You don't like professional hockey or basketball.

    But to say the first 3 games of a 7 game series mean nothing is just silly. Ask the Kings if going up 3-0 was insignificant in them winning the Stanley cup.

    Say OKC wins these first two at home and takes the first game back in Miami. Statistics say they WILL win the series, so these games that "mean nothing" actually do mean something.
    And on top of that almost no one who follows the sport will debate whether the winner of the series is actually the best team.

    The reason the NCAA isn't the same is because there are over 10 times as many D1 basketball teams as professional basketball teams. The NCAA tournament tries to take the top 20% of these teams and puts them in a tournament. The NBA takes over 50% of it's teams into the playoffs and makes them play multiple games against one another so that a certain degree of confidence is established that the series winner is in fact the better team. In basketball home court advantage is probably more prominent than in any other sport, so more than one game is necessary.

    You are one of very few people who are actually debating the legitimacy of the NBA and NHL playoffs based mostly on the grounds that, "hey they don't do it in the regular season, so why do it in the post season?" By the same token, MLB doesn't do best of 7 series during the regular season, so why do they do it in the postseason?

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,774

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    I thought for sure when I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread there would be talk about David Stern on Jime Rome today. Rome got what he deserves!!!!!


  7. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    9,723
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I thought for sure when I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread there would be talk about David Stern on Jime Rome today. Rome got what he deserves!!!!!
    I had no idea Rome beat his wife.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Again, we get it. You don't like professional hockey or basketball.

    But to say the first 3 games of a 7 game series mean nothing is just silly. Ask the Kings if going up 3-0 was insignificant in them winning the Stanley cup.

    Say OKC wins these first two at home and takes the first game back in Miami. Statistics say they WILL win the series, so these games that "mean nothing" actually do mean something.
    And on top of that almost no one who follows the sport will debate whether the winner of the series is actually the best team.

    The reason the NCAA isn't the same is because there are over 10 times as many D1 basketball teams as professional basketball teams. The NCAA tournament tries to take the top 20% of these teams and puts them in a tournament. The NBA takes over 50% of it's teams into the playoffs and makes them play multiple games against one another so that a certain degree of confidence is established that the series winner is in fact the better team. In basketball home court advantage is probably more prominent than in any other sport, so more than one game is necessary.

    You are one of very few people who are actually debating the legitimacy of the NBA and NHL playoffs based mostly on the grounds that, "hey they don't do it in the regular season, so why do it in the post season?" By the same token, MLB doesn't do best of 7 series during the regular season, so why do they do it in the postseason?
    You think playing all 4 would have changed the outcome of the Stanley Cup Finals?

    Those games are filler...no reason on earth to have them. Statistics are great but the winner of a one game series will win the series every time. Shocking!!!

    Sure the NCAA has more teams, but they also have a better way to crown a champion. The NBA takes 50%...say that to yourself and if it doesn't make you almost puke you have serious issues...of teams that have already played a monster season compared to the NCAA. So...you already have a large sample size...almost 50% of the teams in the NBA...and then you play multiple games against one another so that a certain degree of confidence is established that the series winner is in fact the better team. So...almost 3 times the length of an NCAA season...more than double the percentage of teams allowed in...and then they make them play best of 7 series because the season apparently wasn't a good enough bench mark of how good the teams are. If you swing a hammer 100 times...swinging it another 40 times won't give you anything earth shattering that you didn't already know about swinging a hammer. More than one game is in no way necessary...that's a very very short sighted thing to say. If you have a better record over as long a season as the NBA has...you earned a home game. I'm still flabbergasted by that statement...due to home court advantage more than one game is necessary...this should be printed on T-shirts.

    God forbid I question this lunacy on the pure bounds that it's against the simple notion of common sense. Trust me I am not the only one who has a problem with the NBA playoffs. Search google and figure out how many people think they are the dumbest thing since astro turf. You are correct...MLB does not play 7 game series. They play 3 game series. But at least it's part of their large sample size...so it at least makes some kind of sense.

  9. #149
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game


  10. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    You think playing all 4 would have changed the outcome of the Stanley Cup Finals?

    Those games are filler...no reason on earth to have them. Statistics are great but the winner of a one game series will win the series every time. Shocking!!!

    Sure the NCAA has more teams, but they also have a better way to crown a champion. The NBA takes 50%...say that to yourself and if it doesn't make you almost puke you have serious issues...of teams that have already played a monster season compared to the NCAA. So...you already have a large sample size...almost 50% of the teams in the NBA...and then you play multiple games against one another so that a certain degree of confidence is established that the series winner is in fact the better team. So...almost 3 times the length of an NCAA season...more than double the percentage of teams allowed in...and then they make them play best of 7 series because the season apparently wasn't a good enough bench mark of how good the teams are. If you swing a hammer 100 times...swinging it another 40 times won't give you anything earth shattering that you didn't already know about swinging a hammer. More than one game is in no way necessary...that's a very very short sighted thing to say. If you have a better record over as long a season as the NBA has...you earned a home game. I'm still flabbergasted by that statement...due to home court advantage more than one game is necessary...this should be printed on T-shirts.

    God forbid I question this lunacy on the pure bounds that it's against the simple notion of common sense. Trust me I am not the only one who has a problem with the NBA playoffs. Search google and figure out how many people think they are the dumbest thing since astro turf. You are correct...MLB does not play 7 game series. They play 3 game series. But at least it's part of their large sample size...so it at least makes some kind of sense.
    You never answered my last question. Why is the World Series 7 games? Or why does any series in the MLB postseason go more than 3 games? If you're arguing that the NBA playoffs should be just one game per round like the regular season, then why isn't baseball the same? Are those extra games not filler?

    In all fairness, I think most professional sports seasons last too long. I wouldn't be opposed to the current NBA playoff setup if the season was somewhat shortened, with the playoffs starting immediately after the Final Four. So instead of mid April you start the playoffs in early April. That way the only way you'd be playing basketball in June is if you were going to a game 7.

  11. #151
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    10,429
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    It is a fan thing and a revenue thing. Otherwise, it matters not. If the NBA owners and the fans had a big enough issue with the post season format, it would change. What we have is media talking heads finding the "filler space" that Hawk deplores... and they've sparked the 7 game debate to keep a bunch of fans in a debate free for all. It all matters not.

    Most NBA diehard fans are going to keep gobbling up the postseason and if money is flowing to suit the owners, it will not change. Every format has pros and cons.

    Who cares how professional sports do their postseason? The NFL's preseason is the dumbest of them all. And I don't care about it either. It's just entertainment and money. I'm surprised Hawk cares this much.


  12. #152
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    You never answered my last question. Why is the World Series 7 games? Or why does any series in the MLB postseason go more than 3 games? If you're arguing that the NBA playoffs should be just one game per round like the regular season, then why isn't baseball the same? Are those extra games not filler?
    NBA plays 82 games in a season. This year they only played 66. If every series goes to a game 7...that's 28 games. In a normal year...that's 34 percent of the regular season played in the postseason. This year it's 42%. Baseball is a 162 game season. Max games in the playoffs...17. That's 10%. 10. It's way to many games. If you are playing that many games in the postseason...what was the regular season for? Let's compare to the NCAA. Everyone plays about 35 games or more give or take a few. Plus you add in 4 games for each conference tourney. Regular season is about 40 games long. About half the length of an NBA season. The max you can play in the NCAA tournament in 6 games (play in stupidity). That's 15%. Let's look at the NFL. 17 games...you play a max of 4 games in the playoffs. That's 24%. NHL...82 games played. same deal play 28 games max in the playoffs. 34%. NCAA Baseball you play 62-63 games. Plus 5-6 for the conference tournament. 70 total just to be nice and rounded. 4 games max for a regional, 3 games max for a super regional, 7 max for the CWS, or 14 games total. 20%. extra games in both the NBA & NHL are filler...you already know how the teams fared over a large sample size...so you basically need another large sample size to figure out who the champion is. That's idiocy. That's the definition of just plain stupid.

    Baseball is at least quick with their playoffs...it's a game built to be played on a daily basis...so 17 games max won't take you 6 months. Baseball is meant to be played over a longer period of time...that has been established. Pitching rotations are built for playoff runs. Basketball & Hockey are not. You don't have to worry about a bullpen or which point guard or goalie you will start in games 3,4, & 5. Hell I think the World Cup might play fewer games and take less time than the NBA & NHL playoffs. That's sad. Honestly...soccer is a sport that playing twice in one week is very hard to do even for extremely conditioned athletes...and they do it faster than the NBA & NHL. You can keep coming back to baseball all you want but that is how baseball is played. Always has been. Baseball is a game of slow plodding strategy...basketball and hockey are frenetic games of size and speed and power. One is built for a longer drawn out playoff style. The other two are in no way structured that way. Nothing can be worse than watching a fast paced frenetic playoff game that decides nothing. Normally basketball and hockey fans plan to go watch a game during the season. Baseball fans can plan to make an entire series. It just makes so much more sense.



    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    In all fairness, I think most professional sports seasons last too long. I wouldn't be opposed to the current NBA playoff setup if the season was somewhat shortened, with the playoffs starting immediately after the Final Four. So instead of mid April you start the playoffs in early April. That way you the only way you'd be playing basketball in June is if you were going to a game 7.
    I agree the season is too long for some sports. Baseball should save themselves a headache and cut the season short and do the playoffs before football starts or at least do the World Series in September before Football gets cranking. NBA needs to start after football ends or is wrapping up. But still with a shortened season...7 games is way too long. Three games would be tolerable. 7 makes no sense. Think of the hype and atmosphere of an NBA or NHL playoffs that is full of nothing but game 7's...it's a no brainer. Who cares who the best team is...there is no thrill in watching the Heat be the best team over 82 games and then wait another two months of games to realize the same thing you already knew. The champion is not always the best team...playing extra games won't make the champion the best team. So why do it? No NBA Finals will ever touch watching the Giants beat the unbeatable Patriots. I will take "luckbox" every time.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,774

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    I like the 7 game series. There isn't _____ else to watch on TV at this time of year. Give me basketball every night and Hawk can have Dancing with the Stars.


  14. #154
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    It is a fan thing and a revenue thing. Otherwise, it matters not. If the NBA owners and the fans had a big enough issue with the post season format, it would change. What we have is media talking heads finding the "filler space" that Hawk deplores... and they've sparked the 7 game debate to keep a bunch of fans in a debate free for all. It all matters not.

    Most NBA diehard fans are going to keep gobbling up the postseason and if money is flowing to suit the owners, it will not change. Every format has pros and cons.

    Who cares how professional sports do their postseason? The NFL's preseason is the dumbest of them all. And I don't care about it either. It's just entertainment and money. I'm surprised Hawk cares this much.
    Because it could be so much better. It's the same reason we clamor year in and year out for a playoff in college football. Because...we can.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I like the 7 game series. There isn't _____ else to watch on TV at this time of year. Give me basketball every night and Hawk can have Dancing with the Stars.
    I think a season of Dancing With The Stars takes less time than the NBA playoffs...sold.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    I think a season of Dancing With The Stars takes less time than the NBA playoffs...sold.
    So I take it you love soap operas? Hahaha

  17. #157
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    So I take it you love soap operas? Hahaha
    Old school As The World Turns...

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Old school As The World Turns...
    The Days of our Lives

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    had it on 103.7 this morning and on their break i decide to see what is on 1420...ah Stevie P talking about how he just finished his pancakes and eggs at Lucky Deuces plaza! Just what i like to hear from a sports station. What a garbage show. Not sure i'll listen to anything but 103.7 anymore


  20. #160
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: New Sports Radio Station: 103.7 FM The Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Camz View Post
    had it on 103.7 this morning and on their break i decide to see what is on 1420...ah Stevie P talking about how he just finished his pancakes and eggs at Lucky Deuces plaza! Just what i like to hear from a sports station. What a garbage show. Not sure i'll listen to anything but 103.7 anymore
    It's your funeral bub.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •