Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Timeout on UL projects, for now

  1. Default Timeout on UL projects, for now

    That means a temporary delay on intended major improvements to baseball, track and field/soccer and other facilities, including 40-plus-year-old Cajun Field home of coach Mark Hudspeth's Ragin' Cajuns football team. Now, none of those ...


  2. #2
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,055

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    I am now in the "trust but verify" mode.


  3. #3
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    I am now in the "trust but verify" mode.
    You ain't alone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    You ain't alone.
    Ditto, but I'm glad they are getting much needed professional help! They should have done this the day HUD was hired! Good things come to those who wait and patience and doing this right because we only have one shot at this. I'll support him, but I'll be damned if this guy fools me twice!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,057
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Ditto, but I'm glad they are getting much needed professional help! They should have done this the day HUD was hired! Good things come to those who wait and patience and doing this right because we only have one shot at this. I'll support him, but I'll be damned if this guy fools me twice!
    This is good news fellas. This is an indication that they get it. I absolutely agree with what Scott says in this article & this was well written. I am also of the trust but verify state of mind. The admission by these guys & placing this in the hands of group who can look at the BIG picture & give them a comprehensive way to tackle these projects is the way to go. Let us remember the time line however & hold the administration accountable to November deadline. This gives them almost 6 months to study & come up with a comprehensive plan that will not depend on piece mealling any longer. This is the way you do it IF you want to be a big time program. The trIck is getting results.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,739

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Exactly right BWK. You can say we shoulda did this 5 years ago.. we coulda did it when the oilfield was booming etc etc etc.. but ya know what.. we started it now. The wheels are in motion.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,609

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Exactly right BWK. You can say we shoulda did this 5 years ago.. we coulda did it when the oilfield was booming etc etc etc.. but ya know what.. we started it now. The wheels are in motion.
    and all it took were some people to speak up that they werent satisfied, not just sit back and stay quiet

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    13,850

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    So what he said basically, is that we need a plan? Hmm, haven't we been saying that all along?!?!?!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    yea this is good news to me imo. I know some may disagree but don't we want to do this right? I think Farmer and T-Joe decided they needed to take a step back and regroup before they made a big mistake. It will get done guys. patience.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,560

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Bleed_RED View Post
    It will get done guys. patience.
    Lucy is that you?? I thought you moved out of town back in December and said you weren't coming back.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,490

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    OK, it's past due, but Farmer is now publicly saying the right words. Everything he said is what we've been wanting to hear for a long time, and assumed it was happening. Now, let's see the action.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,490

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Oh, and this is a good article by Buckley. I think he is understanding some of the concerns, and is making an effort to address those in his articles.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    13,850

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Oh, and this is a good article by Buckley. I think he is understanding some of the concerns, and is making an effort to address those in his articles.
    I agree. Seems like he had a nice long sit down interview with Farmer in the past few days.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,434
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    "Construction of a basketball practice court if the current one is relocated from the football-focused Leon Moncla Indoor Practice Facility"

    I think this is a great idea.

    This would allow for the new "much larger" weight room to be created in current structure. Which would still be utilized by the basketball team and all other sports programs, without the athletes feeling like they were trespassing through football territory to get there.

    I would spend any money intended for a new basketball practice venue, on making Blackham a great depth perception place to practice.

    I would also give the basketball program complete control of Blackham and is use dates as a way of raising funds for the program.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    873

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Reading between the lines it looks like a good way to reshuffle the order of improvements. Appears the trains with more monentum will see upgrades first.


  16. #16
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,624

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "Construction of a basketball practice court if the current one is relocated from the football-focused Leon Moncla Indoor Practice Facility"

    I think this is a great idea.

    This would allow for the new "much larger" weight room to be created in current structure. Which would still be utilized by the basketball team and all other sports programs, without the athletes feeling like they were trespassing through football territory to get there.

    I would spend any money intended for a new basketball practice venue, on making Blackham a great depth perception place to practice.

    I would also give the basketball program complete control of Blackham and is use dates as a way of raising funds for the program.
    Basketball leaders want a new practice court to be built adjacent to and connected to the Dome. There are a lot of reasons for this One benefit would be access to the showers and locker rooms of the Dome. They don't have those now at Leon Moncla. Another major benefit would be the ability to practice on the dome floor more frequently. Also, the Dome needs to be configured to make it more basketball friendly. Filling in the area behind the goals and moving as many people as possible to the lower level would provide a cozier atmosphere and more of a true homecourt advantage. Doing all this of course is a multimillion dollar endeavor. There are no plans to use Blackham for basketball at this time. In fact a deal may be in the works for that facility to be used in a non athletic fashion.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,490

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Also, the Dome needs to be configured to make it more basketball friendly. Filling in the area behind the goals and moving as many people as possible to the lower level would provide a cozier atmosphere and more of a true homecourt advantage.
    Good idea, is this a dream or is there any effort, talking with the city about making this happen?

  18. #18
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,395

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Basketball leaders want a new practice court to be built adjacent to and connected to the Dome. There are a lot of reasons for this One benefit would be access to the showers and locker rooms of the Dome. They don't have those now at Leon Moncla. Another major benefit would be the ability to practice on the dome floor more frequently. Also, the Dome needs to be configured to make it more basketball friendly. Filling in the area behind the goals and moving as many people as possible to the lower level would provide a cozier atmosphere and more of a true homecourt advantage. Doing all this of course is a multimillion dollar endeavor. There are no plans to use Blackham for basketball at this time. In fact a deal may be in the works for that facility to be used in a non athletic fashion.

    ---Are you saying that they do not have showers and a locker room on the Moncla for Basketball????

    They do--but they need the deal at the Dome!!!


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,434
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Basketball leaders want a new practice court to be built adjacent to and connected to the Dome. There are a lot of reasons for this One benefit would be access to the showers and locker rooms of the Dome. They don't have those now at Leon Moncla. Another major benefit would be the ability to practice on the dome floor more frequently. Also, the Dome needs to be configured to make it more basketball friendly. Filling in the area behind the goals and moving as many people as possible to the lower level would provide a cozier atmosphere and more of a true homecourt advantage. Doing all this of course is a multimillion dollar endeavor. There are no plans to use Blackham for basketball at this time. In fact a deal may be in the works for that facility to be used in a non athletic fashion.
    I like this, long term.

    My idea can be implemented tomorrow, or as soon as a soft pad floor can be installed.

    I want basketball to get the funds Blackham generates from being leased as a sound stage 9 months out of the year.

  20. #20
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,473
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Timeout on UL projects, for now

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    and all it took were some people to speak up that they werent satisfied, not just sit back and stay quiet
    You damn right!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •