Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Hmmmmm.

This seems oddly familiar.

Let me try something.

--Wow, the WAC! This is another one of your farfetched ideas that fails to separate finances from fallacy. Sending your Olympic sports to a conference in the PACIFIC Time Zone only adds to your travels cost and further strains your budget. To use your term, that is FACT!

Yeah. That really set back Tech decades. Too bad they had to come crawling back........

If you desire separation strong enough, you find the money.
    Tech was on their way crawling back to the belt. They were just fortunate that the starts lined up for them with a CUSA opening at the very last minute. And they have Davidson as their sugar daddy. Its unfortunate for us but we have not been able to find such a sugardaddy for UL and its not for lack of desire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Turb, PM Lou Hebert and I think you will find he will back me up on my comments.
    Of that fact I suspect you are right.

He more than most probably felt the duress of Nelson holding the two jobs simultaneously.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

I have followed this conversation all day....when one is retired one can do such things.....I will not give a public opinion on the subject but I love seeing this kind of passion in our alumni and fans. We have a man just like that now in charge of our football program. This year it is vital that we who are fans continue to show the same kind of support that we showed last year....I have been truely blessed in my life to have been able to do the job, for 8 years, that I dreamed of doing all of my life. The University of Louisiana is a very special place with very special fans and today made me realize this all the more...Geaux Cajuns

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Tech was on their way crawling back to the belt. They were just fortunate that the starts lined up for them with a CUSA opening at the very last minute. And they have Davidson as their sugar daddy. Its unfortunate for us but we have not been able to find such a sugardaddy for UL and its not for lack of desire.

That's really the root of this proposal.

Finding some sugardaddys.

The question is how do we get them?

Could there be a few "whales" out there that would be intrigued with founding a bowl to propel us to independence and a quantam leap forward in perception by doing such grandiose things?

I'm merely saying that this idea should be discussed in higher circles than this board. Maybe throw a couple of lines out there and see who nibbles.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Could there be a few "whales" out there that would be intrigued with founding a bowl to propel us to independence and a quantam leap forward in perception by doing such grandiose things?

I'm merely saying that this idea should be discussed in higher circles than this board. Maybe throw a couple of lines out there and see who nibbles.
    If we find a few whales out there with that kind of money we shouldn't have them waste it on a sponsorship for a bowl game. We could put such money to much better use for facilities and coaches salaries that will propel us to success which will get us much greater publicity.

Back to the point of what the SBC might look like in 2016, I think that there is a very good possibility that the SBC will be without MT, FAU, Texas State, and Georgia State by then. We can remain committed to the SBC, and to making it the best it can be, or we can go all out in trying to be one of the next schools invited into either the MWC or CUSA. This round of realignment is not over yet and the next shoe is about to fall as we speak. You can bet that MT, FAU, Tx St, and GSU are all working their rear ends off to be included when what could be the last round of realignment goes down. If these four were to leave the SBC, we'd be in real trouble. At that point, being an Independent may be our only hope.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The whole key to the next round of realignment is who will the Big 12 add to get to 14 or 16. Informal contacts have been made between the Big 12 and Miami, Ga. Tech, Clemson and Florida St. The Big 12 is going to want to expand its footprint to expand its TV markets and they will want to add the best quality possible. Cincinnati and Louisville of the Big East are also on the radar if the number is 16. The ACC is on the hotseat this time. If the SEC decides to go to 16 it will be to expand their footprint...N. Carolina St.and Virginia Tech will be the schools of choice. The SEC has stated that no expansion will occur within states already within the SEC footprint. The Big 10 would be next and I believe that Virginia and Maryland because of academic status and the Virginia/D.C. area and Rutgers because of the N.J./ New York city area will be possible choices. Notre Dame is the prize here for the Big 10 but that may not happen. Either way, the ACC gets decimated. The Big East could look like the original CUSA and schools like Tech, UNT and FIU will be looking for a home...maybe even a good program with average demographics like USM. I do not think it will happen this year but look for movement in 2013 because AQ status ends prior to the 2014 season and the new 4 team FBS playoff could begin with the 2014 season. This, of course, will affect everyone on the FBS level and we need to be ready with a plan....and right quick.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You are right in that discussing the independence option on this board accomplishes nothing. It also does no damage other than taking away time from issues some consider more important. What I will predict is that if we seriously considered going independent in football and moving to the Atlantic Sun in other sports many of our coaches would resign immediately. That includes Mark Hudspeth, Tony Robichaux, and the Lotiefs. I recall someone saying this should not be dismissed out of hand. That is not really an issue as the people who count don't have this idea anywhere near any part of their brain.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

I thought the Sun Belt would "NEVER" kick out a non football playing member.

I even heard They had no aversion to inviting one in.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    You are right in that discussing the independence option on this board accomplishes nothing.
    Speak for yourself man. Don't put words in my mouth. I never said or implied that. You better believe I will keep brining this up more often. If you don't like that, there is an ignore function on this board. Use it.

It also does no damage other than taking away time from issues some consider more important

That may be one of the most asinine things ever said on this board.

. What I will predict is that if we seriously considered going independent in football and moving to the Atlantic Sun in other sports many of our coaches would resign immediately. That includes Mark Hudspeth, Tony Robichaux, and the Lotiefs. .

I disagree.

I would see no reason for the Lotiefs to leave at that point. In the Softball world, we would be leaving one crappy league to join another. Big wow.

Tony? Well, let me just say that I would not be too concerned over that one.

Hud? Newsflash. He will be gone before we would be ready to make the jump anyway.

I recall someone saying this should not be dismissed out of hand. That is not really an issue as the people who count don't have this idea anywhere near any part of their brain
    Hey, I get it.

I'm a nobody.

My opinion counts for less than beans.

Some people on this board should just shut up. Right, Mike?

Snobbish much?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    The whole key to the next round of realignment is who will the Big 12 add to get to 14 or 16. Informal contacts have been made between the Big 12 and Miami, Ga. Tech, Clemson and Florida St. The Big 12 is going to want to expand its footprint to expand its TV markets and they will want to add the best quality possible. Cincinnati and Louisville of the Big East are also on the radar if the number is 16. The ACC is on the hotseat this time. If the SEC decides to go to 16 it will be to expand their footprint...N. Carolina St.and Virginia Tech will be the schools of choice. The SEC has stated that no expansion will occur within states already within the SEC footprint. The Big 10 would be next and I believe that Virginia and Maryland because of academic status and the Virginia/D.C. area and Rutgers because of the N.J./ New York city area will be possible choices. Notre Dame is the prize here for the Big 10 but that may not happen. Either way, the ACC gets decimated. The Big East could look like the original CUSA and schools like Tech, UNT and FIU will be looking for a home...maybe even a good program with average demographics like USM. I do not think it will happen this year but look for movement in 2013 because AQ status ends prior to the 2014 season and the new 4 team FBS playoff could begin with the 2014 season. This, of course, will affect everyone on the FBS level and we need to be ready with a plan....and right quick.
    I think you are right and make a great case for "This thing ain't over yet. Not by a long shot."

ps I think the whole "Independent Streak" is about putting your self in position to be the most visible doggy in the window when conferences need a school.

12. Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

The financial benefits that Tech has gotten from the WAC far exceed the extra travel expenses that Tech has incurred in recent years.

7-year (2004-2005 through 2010-2011 figures from each school's annual NCAA-mandated Agreed Upon Procedures Reports:

Louisiana Tech
    WAC revenues--$10,967,865 ($1,566,838 average)
    Team travel expenses--$13,097,377 ($1,871,054 average)
    Net-- -$2,129,512 (-$304,216 average)

Louisiana-Lafayette
    Sun Belt revenues--$5,242,067 ($748,867 average)
    Team travel expenses--$9,010,922 ($1,287,275 average)
    Net-- -$3,768,855 (-$538,408 average)

Advantage Tech by $1,639,343 over 7 years ($234,192 per year)

Football independence is not a viable option. All-sports independence would be suicide.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I never said your opinion counts less than anyone's. Everyone's opinion is worthwhile. To be fair the administration does pay more attention to the folks who contribute significant dollars. By the way, I am likely not one of those. I donate what I can but they don't call me when making big decision. I also did not realize earlier that your plan calls for leaving the conference some years down the road. Now having said that, MY opinion is that debating this on this board accomplishes nothing as the people who count don't read what is posted here.

I have been resisting but OK I finally give in: Independent Sports is a last ditch no other choice option. This is a insane thought. My apology to the proponent of this idea!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wgwillis View Post
    I have been resisting but OK I finally give in: Independent Sports is a last ditch no other choice option. This is a insane thought. My apology to the proponent of this idea!
    Not that any is needed, but an apology to the proponent of the idea is not an insane thought. It is kind and considerate.

Thanks

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wgwillis View Post
    I like the fact that in all of the "no, you're stupid" going on... I was able to read specifics that made this idea's merit (or lack thereof) a little clearer to me as a fan. It's not a serious consideration of our administration. I'm not completely convinced that "exceptional athletics" is a serious consideration of this administration either. But, I like the opinions, with a few facts sprinkled in, that many offer on this forum.

It's reasonable to point out that this concept (going independent) is not a solid option. It's also reasonable to point out that this concept is not and won't be evaluated by our administration. But, it is unreasonable to say there is no value in analyzing it as fans on a fan forum. I don't believe, personally, that going independent is a viable solution to what ails UL. The arguments presented and those countering them have not evolved, IMO, to conclude it would work for UL.

To me, we should conquer the SBC while we're in it, always looking, learning, listening and acting to jump to a higher conference affiliation (without fear) both by knowing when an opportunity exists AND by "making" that opportunity exist. I don't really care about this hypothetical conference or independent fan forum chatter. I care about Dr. Joseph Savoie committing to exceptional athletics at UL. If that were to happen, improved conference affiliation will take care of itself.

Blog Entries

It would take a minimum of 3 (perhaps 4 or 5) years of hard planning to go independent, and it would take perfect execution to accomplish the goal of getting into a major conference.

I'm not just talking about creating a bowl game (a must) I'm referring to the time it would take to create a viable schedule. Most schools are scheduled 3 or 4 years out already.

One reason so many UL fans have a bad independent taste (some can't event think of the idea) is because it was thrust upon UL overnight without warning. It was like a teenager having no job, and their dad wakes them up at 2am telling them to "get out NOW, you are on your own" no savings and no friends.

That is what happened to UL, with zero planning UL was out of the Big West and on its own, INDEPENDENT with no schedule and no roadmap, an almost impossible task to accomplish.

It doesn't have to be that way.

With proper advanced planning everyone would have a different view of being independent. I still think if done right, UL could benefit nationally, but the benefits are too numerous to mention.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which school would thrive more as an independent? (votes public)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The solution to the bowl tie in delima would be a bowl game in your home town like Boise and sort of like LA Tech has.
    I will reiterate, UL needs to actively pursue a home town bowl game.

Default Re: Which school would thrive more as an independent? (votes public)

I will reiterate, UL needs to actively pursue a home town bowl game.
    I agree. I like the energy bowl thing, or the Tabasco bowl would be even better you'd think these folks would be a little more willing to give back some of those billions they are holding to.

With our hospitality, experience with tourism and other resources we could easily grow a bowl into something very nice. Too bad no one except Hud seems to be thinking big.

The solution to the bowl tie in delima would be a bowl game in your home town like Boise and sort of like LA Tech has.
    The New Orleans Bowl is bought and paid for by us. We could negotiate a "UL or SBC vs CUSA" tie where UL is in with 6 wins.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5