Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 100

Thread: The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Why didn't you understand that the SBC was nothing more then a stepping stone conference for most of it's members? How could you have possibly thought otherwise? It is today and always will be nothing more then that to the media and other conferences. And like most of your ideas, there is very little thought put into them in concerns of budget or preception. Going Independent is another example of one of your ideas with very little rational thought put into it. We neither have the status nor the funds to survive outside of any conference ,and to demand any type of television money. We are not Texas or Notre Dame. The topic is not even worth discussion.
    I don't know much (anything) about athletic operations, but I've always wondered what was so expensive about going independent. And I know we already get close to nothing for television money we're receiving from being in the SBC, so what else is there where we take the financial hit? Is there no way to generate more revenue via generating more interest at the thought of going Independent and attempting to bring in/travel to other schools? Just a naive fan asking questions.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Why didn't you understand that the SBC was nothing more then a stepping stone conference for most of it's members? How could you have possibly thought otherwise?
    I've always known that, T, but what I can't fathom is how supposedly connected guys like yourself couldn't see the writing on the wall in regards to Tech's invite to CUSA and the fact that we will never get a CUSA invite now.


    And like most of your ideas, there is very little thought put into them in concerns of budget or preception. Going Independent is another example of one of your ideas with very little rational thought put into it. We neither have the status nor the funds to survive outside of any conference ,and to demand any type of television money. We are not Texas or Notre Dame. The topic is not even worth discussion.

    You make me giggle T.

    All I am doing is thinking outside of the box.

    What say you join me?

    What will it hurt?


    Oh, one last thing. I've been discussing this with several people on this board, and quite a few of them are intrigued. I won't reveal their names to you lest you give them similar treatment as you have given me.

    I didn't bother to message you about this. I expected you to respond exactly the way you just did.

  3. #23
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,620

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by ULBouzi View Post
    I don't know much (anything) about athletic operations, but I've always wondered what was so expensive about going independent. And I know we already get close to nothing for television money we're receiving from being in the SBC, so what else is there where we take the financial hit? Is there no way to generate more revenue via generating more interest at the thought of going Independent and attempting to bring in/travel to other schools? Just a naive fan asking questions.
    One of the issues with being an independent is scheduling. It is the one question / issue I keep bringing up tp proponents of going independent and they can't answer or refuse to answer. Who are you going to schedule? Its tough enough filling three or four OOC games per year right now. How are you going to schedule 12 each year. You can't just call up Texas, or Oklahoma and tell them to circle a certain date on the calendar because thats when the Cajuns will be there or expect them to show up at your place. They have to agree to the matchup. Its hard enough getting agreements to play as the opener or as HC opponent how are you going to get OOC teams to schedule you in the middle of the season when they are in the thick of conference play. How many road games are you wiling to play each season? Also, think back to the time before we had the belt when we were an independent and we still wouldn't have the upcoming schedule finalized as late as June or July. And that was when there were a lot more independents for us to work deals with. Its just not realistic. And thats just looking at it from a football perspective of 12 games. Do you want to even consider the scheduling nightmare of baseball, basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball and all the other sports? Thats just the issue of scheduling. How about travel cost now that you are not in a geographicly friendly conference? The landscape of college sports has changed tremendously since we (and many others) were an independent.


    If being an independent is so rosy why aren't Idaho and NMSU dancing in the streets right now?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Things have changed, going independent is not as hard as it once was, that is not to say it wouldn't require work, lots of it. Here are some things that have changed.

    In the old days most teams had 3 open dates a year to offer an Independent. Now most (not PAC 12) have 4.

    In the old days there were 86 D1 teams to schedule with. Now there are over 120 with more being added every year.

    In the old days the term money game was a joke, $250G. Today a good negotiator can get a million dollars easy.

    If you are winning you will get paid to be on TV and won't have to share with a conference.

    To me making indi work hinges on having a home town Oil Bowl.


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,015
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I've always known that, T, but what I can't fathom is how supposedly connected guys like yourself couldn't see the writing on the wall in regards to Tech's invite to CUSA and the fact that we will never get a CUSA invite now.





    You make me giggle T.

    All I am doing is thinking outside of the box.

    What say you join me?

    What will it hurt?


    Oh, one last thing. I've been discussing this with several people on this board, and quite a few of them are intrigued. I won't reveal their names to you lest you give them similar treatment as you have given me.

    I didn't bother to message you about this. I expected you to respond exactly the way you just did.
    I would submit to you that you are thinking outside the box with very little thought put into it. LOL!!!

    Last fall, I didn't think Tech had a chance of getting into what was called a new conference then. In January the vision of that new conference began to fall apart with the MWC and CUSA deciding to add new members. At that point, Tech put together a series of initatives announced by Dr. Reneau in a letter campaign. At that point my opinon changed and when it was brought up to certain people, it was ignored. As for being an inside person, my emails carry no more weight with the people in the decision making positions then yours. I really don't care that Tech garnered membership from CUSA, what bothered me more was that our decision makers didn't look at what initatives Tech used to push a successful campaign into a membership.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I would submit to you that you are thinking outside the box with very little thought put into it. LOL!!!

    Last fall, I didn't think Tech had a chance of getting into what was called a new conference then. In January the vision of that new conference began to fall apart with the MWC and CUSA deciding to add new members. At that point, Tech put together a series of initatives announced by Dr. Reneau in a letter campaign. At that point my opinon changed and when it was brought up to certain people, it was ignored. As for being an inside person, my emails carry no more weight with the people in the decision making positions then yours. I really don't care that Tech garnered membership from CUSA, what bothered me more was that our decision makers didn't look at what initatives Tech used to push a successful campaign into a membership.
    Very well.

    Thank you for trying to educate our people.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    7,829

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Things have changed, going independent is not as hard as it once was, that is not to say it wouldn't require work, lots of it. Here are some things that have changed.

    In the old days most teams had 3 open dates a year to offer an Independent. Now most (not PAC 12) have 4.

    In the old days there were 86 D1 teams to schedule with. Now there are over 120 with more being added every year.

    In the old days the term money game was a joke, $250G. Today a good negotiator can get a million dollars easy.

    If you are winning you will get paid to be on TV and won't have to share with a conference.

    To me making indi work hinges on having a home town Oil Bowl.

    First, it is not as "easy" as you think to get $1million for a payday as there are only a handful of schools like Florida, Texas and maybe LSU that are willing to offer that type of money to play. Even if you found more schools like that who pay what you state, will you just play them every year?

    Second, while yes, there are more football programs now than in the "old days" the LARGE majority of those schools are in conferences which makes scheduling them just as hard as it made scheduling the 86 schools at one time and possibly harder since there were more independents back then.

    Going Independent is just not a logical option at this point. Period.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

    Going Independent is just not a logical option at this point. Period.

    Disagree.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    First, it is not as "easy" as you think to get $1million for a payday as there are only a handful of schools like Florida, Texas and maybe LSU that are willing to offer that type of money to play. Even if you found more schools like that who pay what you state, will you just play them every year?
    Well except, you need the "big" money games if you are Independent or in the Sun Belt. That part of the equation doesn't change.

  10. #30
    HoustonCajun's Avatar
    HoustonCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    I don't think scheduling would be that hard as an Independent and we keep ALL of the money from every game. What do we get from the SBC, $250K per year? The problem is bowl games. All of the bowls have tie-ins, so even with a great record, we might have trouble landing a bowl. What helped Boise State rise to prominence was having their own bowl game. With a 50,000+ renovated stadium and our own bowl game, Independent status in football only might work. Think what a bowl game in Lafayette would do for UL and for Lafayette. However, this would not be a permanent status. It would would be the quickest way to elevate our program and make us attractive to a major conference and jump right over CUSA. Otherwise, there is nowhere to go outside of CUSA and our leaders may have permanently blown that opportunity. Of course, we would have to find a conference for all other sports. Look at what Boise and SDSU are doing, looking at the WAC, Big West, or ANY conference for all other sports. Maybe the SBC would let us stay to balance UALR. It may not be doable and UL may not want to go that route, but I agree that it's time to think out of the box if we are ever going to elevate our program. Open dialogue should not be chastised.


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I don't think scheduling would be that hard as an Independent and we keep ALL of the money from every game. What do we get from the SBC, $250K per year? The problem is bowl games. All of the bowls have tie-ins, so even with a great record, we might have trouble landing a bowl. What helped Boise State rise to prominence was having their own bowl game. With a 50,000+ renovated stadium and our own bowl game, Independent status in football only might work. Think what a bowl game in Lafayette would do for UL and for Lafayette. However, this would not be a permanent status. It would would be the quickest way to elevate our program and make us attractive to a major conference and jump right over CUSA. Otherwise, there is nowhere to go outside of CUSA and our leaders may have permanently blown that opportunity. Of course, we would have to find a conference for all other sports. Look at what Boise and SDSU are doing, looking at the WAC, Big West, or ANY conference for all other sports. Maybe the SBC would let us stay to balance UALR. It may not be doable and UL may not want to go that route, but I agree that it's time to think out of the box if we are ever going to elevate our program. Open dialogue should not be chastised.
    I would go Indy no matter what, but I'm hardcore.

    It would make it more palatable to those who live and die with bowl games if the Oil Bowl/Energy Bowl at Cajun Field were a reality. Unlike most bowls, this bowl would serve the interests of an entire industry and not one silly company like R+L Carriers.

    I would think it wouldn't be too hard to garner sponsors for this bowl game.

    This city is ready-made to host this event, big time.

    The next several dacades are going to be extremely profitable for the Energy sector.

    A marriage of the UL athletic program and the Oil industry is long overdue and ripe for the picking.


    This is the key to not only Indy status, but any hopes of Major Conference membership down the road.

  12. #32
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,441
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I would go Indy no matter what, but I'm hardcore.
    I find the conversation intriguing. One of the reasons I like you throwing it out on here is to get the negatives that you may have overlooked. It isn't all that important for the average fan to buy into this. It's important, if it has any merit, to have it as an option to our school administration. With the positive and negative feedback you're getting, you would be in a good position to write this up and provide it to Scott Farmer.

    The one thing that you have to admit... our management are not big athletic risk-takers. Not that your ideas on going independent don't have some attractive qualities, but is our management even capable of contemplating going independent? Again, I have no problem with the discussion. I get a kick out of your list of benefits for going independent and the rebuttals put up by others.

    Not to pop you on this... but once you realize that Ron Paul cannot be elected... do you still vote for him?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I would go Indy no matter what, but I'm hardcore.

    More like small minded!! Going Indy is a major league death wish!!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post

    More like small minded!! Going Indy is a major league death wish!!
    Sounds like a bunch of McCarthyism in here. The only argument against going independent (in football only) so far has been scheduling. Is it that much more of a death wish than remaining in a conference that has to beg FCS schools to upgrade to FBS status in order to maintain the conference's viability? Any ACC shake-up that is about to occur is going to cause another go-around.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    Going Indy is a major league death wish!!


    Pourquoi?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Pourquoi?
    Money!!! This was tried once when Nelson Stokely was the coach. It almost ruined us.

    I have no interest in round two.

    I do not want to be in the boat with UT-Pan Am and Houston Baptist.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by ULBouzi View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of McCarthyism in here. The only argument against going independent (in football only) so far has been scheduling. Is it that much more of a death wish than remaining in a conference that has to beg FCS schools to upgrade to FBS status in order to maintain the conference's viability? Any ACC shake-up that is about to occur is going to cause another go-around.
    Sounds like you are in denial!!

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    Money!!! This was tried once when Nelson Stokely was the coach. It almost ruined us.

    I have no interest in round two.

    I do not want to be in the boat with UT-Pan Am and Houston Baptist.
    The 1997 problem was a result of institutionally pulled recruiting money, and asking the head football coach to also be the athletic director, (and who knows when the insidious ravages of Alzheimers began to take their toll) along with the burden of coaching your son, all the while hoping to keep the other players on the team from thinking favoritism wasn't somehow involved.

    Those factors -not being independent- may have contributed to the collapse. . . and then along came Baldwin.

    jmo

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    There is no need to go the route of becoming an Independent. Four 16 member super conferences are in the process of forming that will change everything. Many schools in the ACC and BE will be left out. They will move quickly to establish a clear pecking order among the "have not" conferences. The ACC leftovers will join some of the BE leftovers to form a great basketball conference that plays pretty good football as well. Everything in what is left of the BE, along with the MWC, SBC, MAC, and CUSA will be up in the air again then. This is in the process of happening as we speak.


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

    We have a hard enough time scheduling a decent home OOC basketball schedule.

    Going independent would only make that worse. Plus within a conference, 8 football games are set for you. You only have to find 4 more. Try lining up 12 by yourself. And getting atleast 5/6 home games against competition your fans will want to see.

    For those of you clamoring to pursue the independent idea sounds like the kid in the neghborhood that wants to take their ball and go home bc they got picked last in klickball. or the guy who resents women because some average looking chick (CUSA) scorned your advances.

    CUSA will be the new WAC in less than 3 years. And thats not a good thing.

    The traditional idea of conferences is changing. if the 4 super conference emerge, the new landscape of college atheltics will not resemble anything we have today. With that change will come new opportunities that we must seize.


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •