Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

Blog Entries

Default The Advantages and Disavantages of going Independent in Football

A lot has changed in the last 20 years, what are the advantages and disavantages of going independent in football only?

All I do know is this isn't 20 years ago.

jmo

Default Re: Which school would thrive more as an independent? (votes public)

Neither, independent is a volutary death sentence for college athletics.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Neither, independent is a volutary death sentence for college athletics.
    like Turbine said, a lot has changed in 20 years. While Indy status for your entire department would be an adventure to say the list, an Indy football program by itself is not a death sentence and could work really well for the right school.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    like Turbine said, a lot has changed in 20 years. While Indy status for your entire department would be an adventure to say the list, an Indy football program by itself is not a death sentence and could work really well for the right school.
    It works well for Notre Dame only!

Being an independent in football will make you homecoming fodder for everyone. As I am sure you know, independent status almost killed the Cajuns football program. I would be amazed if anyone who was a Cajun fan during that dark period of history would want to consider this. It will never happen, so it is really a non-issue.

Positives: At least you could play 4-8 AQ blood games and make a lot of money which could be tranferred to the general fund. Hmm, speaking of going back in time, maybe Baldwin would work out better this time around. Maybe we should contact him if and when Hud leaves? I bet we could get him for a song. Maybe we should go indy, then hire Baldwin back.That would be a killer idea!

Blog Entries

Notes:

What happened in 1997 and 1998 cannot be blamed on being an independent.

Not going to a bowl game from 1973-2010 cannot be blamed on being an independent.

I know it probably won't happen, but just for the sake of discussion since the topic was raised, why not think out ofthe box? What would Independent status for football ONLY look like for UL?

UL's best year in scheduling and competitivness were as an independent. Could we duplicate that under Coach Hud? Could we get into a major BCS conference faster as an independent? Could we have greater attendance, a greater following, be more marketable, attract more national interest?

1996 (5-6 with a win over Texas A&M) - Florida, Texas A&M (H), Southern Miss, LA Tech, Houston (H), Ark. State (H), UAB, Memphis (H), VA Tech, Northern Illinois (H), Texas Tech

Every school plays at least 4 OOC games and they all schedule OOC games right in the middle of the season, some even at the end, like our game vs. Arizona last year. Would it be that hard to schedule? 7 wins and we would be in a bowl game. A UL schedule could look like this, and, we can still alternate with schools from the Big 10, ACC, Big East and Pac 12 plus the other Independents.

1 SLC or 1AA school
    2 SEC schools
    2 CUSA schools
    2 SBC schools
    2 Big 12 schools
    2 MAC schools
    1 Mt. West school

Would such a schedule be that difficult? We have the athletic staff in place with national connections to handle this.

How successful could we be right now? That might just get us over the hump of a CUSA and move us quicker along to a major conference affiliation than anything we do in the football SBC.

And, we could still play Olympic sports in the SBC.

Going Independent for any school not named Notre Dame would be a "Death Wish"!!! I think BYU will regret their move eventually. If it were that easy, many other Non-AQ's would have gone that route a long time ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Going Independent for any school not named Notre Dame would be a "Death Wish"!!! I think BYU will regret their move eventually. If it were that easy, many other Non-AQ's would have gone that route a long time ago.
    I know that was the case before computers could aid in scheduling, but if it wasn't a "death wish" (lead to) when everything had to be done manually, what makes you think it would be a death wish today?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    IWould such a schedule be that difficult? We have the athletic staff in place with national connections to handle this.

How successful could we be right now? That might just get us over the hump of a CUSA and move us quicker along to a major conference affiliation than anything we do in the football SBC.

And, we could still play Olympic sports in the SBC.
    Scheduling is light years better now than it was 20 years ago.

Also, Tech has proven that one way to achieve separation from schools that you wish to be separated from one day is to actually separate yourself from them. Novel concept.

But, the SBC would never let us stay in the league and not play SBC football. However, there are options. Likely scenario would be placing non-football sports in the Atlantic Sun, which has had better RPI numbers in basketball and baseball than the SBC for the last 2 years.

Blog Entries

But, the SBC would never let us stay in the league and not play SBC football. However, there are options.
    So are you saying they give UALR more respect -now- than they would ever give UL?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    So are you saying they give UALR more respect -now- than they would ever give UL?
    I think there is an SBC bylaw which states that if you play FBS football, to be a member of the SBC, you have to play football there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I know it probably won't happen and as a friend of mine pointed out, the real problem is bowl games. With all the conference tie-ins, even with a 9-3 record it might be tough to get in one. My initial thought was to play a good schedule, recruit better, get better facilities and attendance thereby raising more money and increasing the budget because we keep everything and don't share (what did we get last year from the SBC, $250K) and we become more of a nationally recognized program. Conference realignment is not over. This might be the quickest way to move up to a better conference because I fear we are locked out of CUSA. Could being successful as an Independent get us into the Big 12 in a few years? Will we ever get out of the SBC? Could Coach Hud recruit to that? Would he even want to? Could we be successful with that kind of schedule? What bowl game would not want a school that brings 33,000+? Most schools are in good conferences. It is only schools like UL that may not have any other way to move up who might consider something like this.

Suicide or Fast Track?

Anyway, this is just a discussion item. Nothing to get balistic about. I think it makes for an interesting discussion scenario as we await word from our illustrious Presidents today. Imagine LOUISIANA as an Independent playing a schedule like:

Southern
    OK State
    Ark State
    Kansas State
    Ole Miss
    Troy
    Florida
    Ohio
    Tulane
    Southern Miss
    Texas State
    Colorado State

Blog Entries

The solution to the bowl tie in delima would be a bowl game in your home town like Boise and sort of like LA Tech has.

Default Re: FB Which school would thrive more as an independent?

Energy Bowl

...brought to you by PHI, Fluid Crane, etc. etc. .......

Blog Entries

Trophy by Stuller

Energy Bowl

...brought to you by PHI, Fluid Crane, etc. etc. .......
    Wouldn't that be interesting? We enlarge the stadium to over 50,000 seats and play host to the Energy Bowl. And, remember what Boomer was suggesting with an Energy Stadium paid for by major Energy sponsors who would also sponsor the Bowl Game. With Cajun hospitality and culture, this could be a better bowl than others like the Belk Bowl, Go Daddy Bowl, N. O. Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, Independence Bowl, Little Caesars Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, etc. Every BCS team that has played in Lafayette has loved playing here. We could define our own future in that case as an Independent in football until we quickly achieve success and move to a BCS conference in all sports. Louisiana is a fertile recruiting ground and I'll bet conferences would like a presence there and we could give them that. Need to find a good home for our Olympic sports until a BCS conference comes calling. Name me another way to achieve what we all want quicker than this. Suicide or fast track? Hey, its fun to fantasize about what could be.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Man

just keep those ideas coming

-we have soooooo much in possibilities and we have ZERO possibility thinking---Well except for HUD---He comes in here and must think we are just crazy for not doing what is so very possible---AAAAAHAHHHHHHHHAAAAAA!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    We could define our own future in that case as an Independent in football until we quickly achieve success and move to a BCS conference in all sports. Louisiana is a fertile recruiting ground and I'll bet conferences would like a presence there and we could give them that. Need to find a good home for our Olympic sports until a BCS conference comes calling. Name me another way to achieve what we all want quicker than this.

Yes...YES...and YES.

Doing this would be equivalent of pressing the reset button, turning the tables, changing the game. Do you realize just how much time and energy we absolutely waste worrying about "building" the SBC? ,or fighting the silly name battles with ULM? Both of which are entirely fruitless endeavors because they have no path to solution. We will always be fighting these things....as long as we remain in the SBC.

I believe it is time to SECEDE. Declare our independence.

Let's spend every waking moment, every last dime we have, all of our resources on building the LOUISIANA brand of athletics. Nothing else.

This would be the boldest, most exciting, most forward thinking move this university has ever done.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Prediction: SBC 2016

I've come to the realization that CUSA will eventually bleed the SBC of most of its current schools. So, worrying about the SBC membership has become pointless. "Building" this conference is a fruitless endeavor. Our future resides as an independent.

The quicker we all realize this, the better.
    Why didn't you understand that the SBC was nothing more then a stepping stone conference for most of it's members? How could you have possibly thought otherwise? It is today and always will be nothing more then that to the media and other conferences. And like most of your ideas, there is very little thought put into them in concerns of budget or preception. Going Independent is another example of one of your ideas with very little rational thought put into it. We neither have the status nor the funds to survive outside of any conference ,and to demand any type of television money. We are not Texas or Notre Dame. The topic is not even worth discussion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast