Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Its Time has come

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Its Time has come

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    get lagcoe involved if you want all the oil companies to participate. maye matt roth, farmer and t joe need to sit down with don briggs. maybe mr. monclas and mr domingue can help with the efforts since they both own oilfield companies. They know plenty of people in the industry that own companies.

Well thanks and this makes too much sense

-I was thinking an oil field directory and assigning different people to approach them---of course we need a physical plan of some type to sell!!!

Blog Entries

Boomer you don't like my rig/swamp idea?

I was hoping we drill at Cajun Field to a depth of 29,171 where we strike oil.

Hey I'm a "Daydream Believer" and I think we can duplicate what the drilling rig Davie Jones just did. They found massive amounts of oil at 29,122 feet.

ps 29,171 was the average attendance last season.

Uh, no..

As a longtime member of *SSOOT and a long time Cajun fan, I see this as an unworkable idea.

1. Oil company executives are not all UL alums, and would rather throw company money elsewhere.
    2. The idea of making the elevator look like a derrick reeks of an old truck stop sign in Shreveport or Northeast Texas.
    3. Oil companys and service companys are mostly headquartered in Houston now.
    4. There is no advertising value in this as a consortium. Companies want to spend advertising dollars where it will bring a return. In the oilfield, that is trade pubs, and trade shows. A large portion of the market for oilfield services is not even inside the borders of the US.
    4. Stadium rights would be more sustainable if sold to one sponsor at a time; I.E. Louisiana Hotsauce, Tabasco, etc.

no, just no

*Secret Society Of Oilfield Trash

BP stadium, we bout to blow this mother up

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Uh, no..

As a longtime member of *SSOOT and a long time Cajun fan, I see this as an unworkable idea.

1. Oil company executives are not all UL alums, and would rather throw company money elsewhere.
    2. The idea of making the elevator look like a deriick reeks of an old truck stop sign in Shreveport or Northeast Texas.
    4. There is no advertising value in this as a consortium. Companies want to spend advertising dollars where it will bring a return. In the oilfield, that is trade pubs, and trade shows. A large portion of the market for oilfield services is not even inside the borders of the US.
    4. Stadium rights would be more sustainable if sold to one sponsor at a time; I.E. Louisiana Hotsauce, Tabasco, etc.

no, just no

---Well you seem to be just the kind of person to lead a drive like this---Think you should go for it!!! Just get some info---How many oil field related companies are there around here????

Uh, no..

2. The idea of making the elevator look like a deriick reeks of an old truck stop sign in Shreveport or Northeast Texas.

no, just no

The two largest privately held oil service companies are headquartered in Lafayette, LA............

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    The two largest privately held oil service companies are headquartered in Lafayette, LA............
    I was about to respond similarly. Embracing the "oil industry" has little to do with the multinational conglomerate oil companies and their marketing/advertisement limitations. And, I'm not advocating we get cheesy or gaudy with anything. Just because someone might suggest we ought to build relationships with the financial industry, we don't expect JPMorgan to drop everything and jump at the chance. But, Home Bank and Teche Federal are not out of reach. It's not just the oil businesses that we need to bridge gaps, but the people affiliated in every aspect of the industry. Show the industry the appreciation for it's massive local contribution and it just might surprise you who will show up and add to the scene. If there was anything other universities in this state have been afraid of in the past, was when/if UL linked up tightly with oil and gas and leveraged that relationship.

Let's put an end to all this and hire "Derrick Dooley"

"The two largest privately held oil service companies are headquartered in Lafayette, LA......."

Yeah, and maybe ONE of them would sponsor the stadium. But the idea that several businesses would come together to jointly do this is just a little too far fetched.

Frank's for example is a business that has supported the university in many ways, but naming rights would not benefit their (now) global business to any measurable extent. Now, might the Mosing family help with stadium improvements; very possibly. But it would probably be a gift from the family, not the corp. There just ain't a business case for it.

Also, @ Boomer; I am not a big shot in the oil business, just a low level professional. Even if I thought this to be a viable project I would not have the influence to carry it out. I also now reside 1900 miles from Lafayette. (but I will be back to retire in a few years- )

Yeah, and maybe ONE of them would sponsor the stadium. But the idea that several businesses would come together to jointly do this is just a little too far fetched.

Frank's for example is a business that has supported the university in many ways, but naming rights would not benefit their (now) global business to any measurable extent. Now, might the Mosing family help with stadium improvements; very possibly. But it would probably be a gift from the family, not the corp. There just ain't a business case for it.

Also, @ Boomer; I am not a big shot in the oil business, just a low level professional. Even if I thought this to be a viable project I would not have the influence to carry it out. I also now reside 1900 miles from Lafayette. (but I will be back to retire in a few years- )

WELL YOU ARE NO HELP EXCEPT MAYBE WITH YOUR COMPANY AND THAT IS A BIG HELP

LOOKING FOR YOUR RETURN IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL ENJOY OIL LEGACY STADIUM---AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BACK IN ---CRAWFISH!!!! THAT WAY YOU CAN LOOK AT YOUR OLD COMPANY'S NAME AND LOGO!!! LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I was about to respond similarly. Embracing the "oil industry" has little to do with the multinational conglomerate oil companies and their marketing/advertisement limitations. And, I'm not advocating we get cheesy or gaudy with anything. Just because someone might suggest we ought to build relationships with the financial industry, we don't expect JPMorgan to drop everything and jump at the chance. But, Home Bank and Teche Federal are not out of reach. It's not just the oil businesses that we need to bridge gaps, but the people affiliated in every aspect of the industry. Show the industry the appreciation for it's massive local contribution and it just might surprise you who will show up and add to the scene. If there was anything other universities in this state have been afraid of in the past, was when/if UL linked up tightly with oil and gas and leveraged that relationship.
    The other thing I think people looking at this in a negative light are not taking into account is how a construction project like this would not only bridge the gap between UL & these companies in a support role for athletics. It could be a huge tool to bring in massive sums of money into the engineering programs at UL. Crawfish ti has to have been a while since you visited Lafayette. Halliburton is in the process of building a manufacturing facility that rivals anything they have in Duncan or Dallas. Knight Oil Tools is finishing up on their second huge building in this town. Baker is continuing to add to their complex & now emplys more personnel in the Lafayette area than they do in Houston now. In short, this city is seeing a mega boom right now to compare the late seventie & early eighties. The difference between that boom & this one is it isn't being financed by 18% money. That means that this is a sustainable solid growth spurt. That means that anyone not getting their hand out their & collecting their portion of that growth spurt is not wise in their thinking. That is if they think money can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The other thing I think people looking at this in a negative light are not taking into account is how a construction project like this would not only bridge the gap between UL & these companies in a support role for athletics. It could be a huge tool to bring in massive sums of money into the engineering programs at UL. Crawfish ti has to have been a while since you visited Lafayette. Halliburton is in the process of building a manufacturing facility that rivals anything they have in Duncan or Dallas. Knight Oil Tools is finishing up on their second huge building in this town. Baker is continuing to add to their complex & now emplys more personnel in the Lafayette area than they do in Houston now. In short, this city is seeing a mega boom right now to compare the late seventie & early eighties. The difference between that boom & this one is it isn't being financed by 18% money. That means that this is a sustainable solid growth spurt. That means that anyone not getting their hand out their & collecting their portion of that growth spurt is not wise in their thinking. That is if they think money can help.
    You're talking me into this Kyle, maybe it's the bile that is building up in my stomach from all the realignment crap but you are starting to make some sense to me. The question is...how do you sell someone on our success? We have only had one winning season to hang our hats on at the moment. It's a better position then we were in prior to. These are successful business men who know what a good thing looks like. Trying to sell them on one good season and they are likely to say..."Even the sun shines on a dog's ___ now and then." What would be a better strategy is a fact finding mission. We have places where these people gather in the Petroleum club...maybe invite area oil industry execs and find out what would it take for them to consider donating to the athletic department. When you buy a car, do you go for the sales person that tells you everything about the car and tries to get you to sign the papers on the spot, or do you go for the one who gives you all the facts then asks, "What can I do to get you in the brand new vehicle?" LAGCOE doesn't come around again until Oct. 2013. Hopefully our new fundraiser is putting something like this together. It's time to stop asking for it...and find out what it will take to get them to acquiesce.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    The question is...how do you sell someone on our success? We have only had one winning season to hang our hats on at the moment. It's a better position then we were in prior to. These are successful business men who know what a good thing looks like. Trying to sell them on one good season and they are likely to say..."Even the sun shines on a dog's ___ now and then."
    I know I'm not Kyle... but I did shake his hand one time. Anyhow, I think the "success" for oil service companies to get involved with UL is enormous... because we are a group of massively diverse people, also employed directly or closely to the industry, all bundled up and either attending all or some of our events or at least reading our headlines. Even at the simplest denominator, we have oil field people that will feel the endearment to us for being one of the sole open supporters of their industry.

This isn't about deciding whether we are the best advertisement space. The first step would be by UL. There may be more from a sentimental angle than anything else that kicks this off. Eventually, the first oil related businesses that participate will spark more and more to get involved. I like it. I've thought a lot about it (including potential bad decisions). The block is not the viability of the concept. It's really whether UL sees this as another endeavor they'd be willing to allow outside people to create or not.

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW--See this happens every time something like this comes up---We have brilliant minds on this board---and like HUD said ---Just pulll on one side of the rope and don't let go!!!! Keep coming up with the ideas and lets get the thing rolling!!!! What a great psychological point about our beingthe BACKERS of their industry---Come on guys keep these things going!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    You're talking me into this Kyle, maybe it's the bile that is building up in my stomach from all the realignment crap but you are starting to make some sense to me. The question is...how do you sell someone on our success? We have only had one winning season to hang our hats on at the moment. It's a better position then we were in prior to. These are successful business men who know what a good thing looks like. Trying to sell them on one good season and they are likely to say..."Even the sun shines on a dog's ___ now and then." What would be a better strategy is a fact finding mission. We have places where these people gather in the Petroleum club...maybe invite area oil industry execs and find out what would it take for them to consider donating to the athletic department. When you buy a car, do you go for the sales person that tells you everything about the car and tries to get you to sign the papers on the spot, or do you go for the one who gives you all the facts then asks, "What can I do to get you in the brand new vehicle?" LAGCOE doesn't come around again until Oct. 2013. Hopefully our new fundraiser is putting something like this together. It's time to stop asking for it...and find out what it will take to get them to acquiesce.
    The greatest thing about the way to approach the oilfield guys is best done on a grass roots basis. It takes guys with talent like the HUD for example to work these guys. A lot of them are extremely competitve & it is possible to get them on the rope together, but sometimes it needs to be done by gettinhg these guys to one up each other. It's like getting Cogswell Cogs & Spacely Space sprockets together. You just can't call one meeting together & say look guys, we need you or would like you on board. You have to say to Frank's, Hey, the school is going to do a major renovation project with the main theme surrounding Cajun & Oilfield culture. Tong Specialty is giving $10,000 dollars & donating a set of tongs to the project. We were wondering what you might be interested in doing for the project. I guarantee that started in this manner by a savy group of oilfield movers & shakers, this would generate the funds needed for a $50,000,000 project in less than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The greatest thing about the way to approach the oilfield guys is best done on a grass roots basis. It takes guys with talent like the HUD for example to work these guys. A lot of them are extremely competitve & it is possible to get them on the rope together, but sometimes it needs to be done by gettinhg these guys to one up each other. It's like getting Cogswell Cogs & Spacely Space sprockets together. You just can't call one meeting together & say look guys, we need you or would like you on board. You have to say to Frank's, Hey, the school is going to do a major renovation project with the main theme surrounding Cajun & Oilfield culture. Tong Specialty is giving $10,000 dollars & donating a set of tongs to the project. We were wondering what you might be interested in doing for the project. I guarantee that started in this manner by a savy group of oilfield movers & shakers, this would generate the funds needed for a $50,000,000 project in less than a year.
    this!! for anyone who has ever been to a ducks unlimited,cca or delta waterfowl banquet, you know exactly what kyle is talking about. good ole whip it out contest, and by that i mean wallets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2