Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: BB - UL vs FIU (Sunday)

Quote Originally Posted by ragin2112cajun View Post
    at this point your right
    you're

Default Re: BB - UL vs FIU (Sunday)

Glad i went to the beach instead of watching the rest of this.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lafman View Post
    young team that is coming together...but have to play 'basic' baseball better...coaching is fine...
    I'm sorry, but if you're talking about base running, if these young men didn't learn what to do in high school, they'll never get it. It's a confidence issue... and coaches either have the gift in building player confidence or players show up that are too strong for a coach to remove it. If we have a natural offensive leader on this team, he probably isn't feeling strong enough to lead due to the egos of the potbellies.

I think this coaching staff is good, but they're failing in creating player ownership. This group of players doesn't own the outcome of their own offense. I like coaches to coach and then get their asses out of the way of the one, two or three leaders on the team... so that they can take over the mindset of the game. I'm not talking about pitching. Pitching is a second game going on all by itself.

You can believe it's youth and a lack of basics... I believe we can hit. These guys swing well. They do not look like they want to kick the other teams' ___. They don't look excited that they are about to drive in runs. They don't look ____ed off that they failed to score and/or win. I've seen this before. It was a coaching personality issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you're talking about base running, if these young men didn't learn what to do in high school, they'll never get it. It's a confidence issue... and coaches either have the gift in building player confidence or players show up that are too strong for a coach to remove it. If we have a natural offensive leader on this team, he probably isn't feeling strong enough to lead due to the egos of the potbellies.

I think this coaching staff is good, but they're failing in creating player ownership. This group of players doesn't own the outcome of their own offense. I like coaches to coach and then get their asses out of the way of the one, two or three leaders on the team... so that they can take over the mindset of the game. I'm not talking about pitching. Pitching is a second game going on all by itself.

You can believe it's youth and a lack of basics... I believe we can hit. These guys swing well. They do not look like they want to kick the other teams' ___. They don't look excited that they are about to drive in runs. They don't look ____ed off that they failed to score and/or win. I've seen this before. It was a coaching personality issue.
    So what was the final score? I missed the last inning while unloading my boat and I think we were down 2-1.

Blog Entries

Final

UL 1
    FIU 2

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Final

UL 1
    FIU 2
    Thanks.

Not good. How many close games have we lost this year? Seems like we can't get a break.

I'm sorry, but if you're talking about base running, if these young men didn't learn what to do in high school, they'll never get it

Not true...the runner in the case of the last inning should have been told to run on contact. In my opinion, he should have at least asked the coach what did he(the coach) want the runner to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lafman View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you're talking about base running, if these young men didn't learn what to do in high school, they'll never get it

Not true...the runner in the case of the last inning should have been told to run on contact. In my opinion, he should have at least asked the coach what did he(the coach) want the runner to do.
    What's not true? Base runners out of high school know what to ask a third base coach. The third base coach is also supposed to make it clear without being asked. That was just a poor job by all involved. I am much more concerned with the lack of confidence in critical at-bats. Someone isn't allowing these young men to take over the game and own it from a mental standpoint IMO.

Not sure whos fault it was for the runner not running but Jace threw his arms up legging out the hit to first in exasperation and again as he went back to the dugout. You would think after leaving 15 on we would run more aggressive to break out pf this funk....instead.....we lose with a man on third which pretty much sums up the last month of the season.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Can somebody tell me why the runner didn't advance from second base on the fly ball to deep center??????

who knows.....lack of game experience.....Todd was a bullpen catcher from my understanding but due to injuries he has been thrust into the lineup when Sinclair cant go or needs a rest.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We have had teams in the past that played with "swagger"...1995, 1999, 2000. This team plays with a certain..."sashay". That ain't good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    We have had teams in the past that played with "swagger"...1995, 1999, 2000. This team plays with a certain..."sashay". That ain't good.
    I'm sure this is all being written off to "youth"... and I'm sure Robe and staff want some leadership to emerge from within the team... but it is not apparent to me who among any of the members of this team "has swagger". It could be we live in the age of "I don't want to be the leader... the leader has to work a little harder and walk a straighter path than the average guy". It's easier to just be one of the group.

If I'm wrong about that being the issue... I'd like to see someone prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    We had a couple of dumb baserunning decisions. We did well to get on base today but we have to freakin score when we get there.
    Maybe the bases have become an unfamiliar and scary place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Can somebody tell me why the runner didn't advance from second base on the fly ball to deep center??????
    I doubt that was Ken Griffey Jr. in CF, but these things happen when you are playing without confidence. You play so safe that you don't even actually play.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Baseball Re: BB - UL vs FIU (Sunday)

Both teams left lots of runners on base, but UL was given a gift out for an FIU player at third base who may have scored later on a good call.

We hit a hard grounder and should have scored, we hit a giant ball to center field and should have gotten to third on a tag. Not going to say who fault was but you gotta be bold even if you screw up and coach chews you out. We have some leaders on this team, just not in the right spots and movements.

There is a lot of baseball left to be played. The optimist in me knows that things can change in a hurry and if there was ever a coach in the world who could engineer a massive turnaround it would be Tony. The pragmatist in me knows that the lack of fire and confidence in this team is systematically driving this team into the ground at an alarming rate and if nothing is done about this Tony is going to have a hard time righting this ship. Hopeful for the best, mindful for the worst. Is it September 1st yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    It was obvious Babs was not happy that Todd didn't advance. He threw his hands in the air twice while glaring at second base. Don't know if Todd wasn't watching his coach or just unsure of his ability to make it to third. All I remember is he probably could have scored on the next play if he'd been on third.

What a long excruciating game to watch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    The 2002 team had swagger. Some opponents took offense. They wanted UL to play with more -should I say- sashay.

Baserunning is an instinct thing IMO. U have to prepare yourself before each pitch for the possible situation. When Compton was at third with infield in....if u have to think about what to do, then 99% of the time it's to late. One step would of been the difference between out and safe. And yes I do think if he had commited to breaking home upon contact, and being it was not hit directly at 2nd baseman, I thought he would of scored. Baserunning is as much mental as hitting.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6