Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: THE Present Situation

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: THE Present Situation

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    I believe this will diminish LSU's statewide power, at least in the northern part of the state.

There have been no big ideas implemented in Louisiana education regarding mergers and expansions of existing universities, so maybe this will be the first with others to follow.

How to we reduce some of the four year universities in the state without a merger?

Originally or near the beginning, Louisiana had LaTech, Northwestern, Southwestern (UL), LSU and the private colleges - Louisiana College, Cenetenary (sp), Loyola, and, Tulane, and then HBC's - Southern and Grambling which was plenty of four year universities to service the state.

Why not grow these, and then add 2 year and/or technical colleges to fill in the gaps rather than expand with more four year universities to where we are today - just to many!!

Louisiana just kept watering down the academic quality of education by adding more universities with too few dollars to distribute, as well as, reluctant graduates to donate.

I believe the LaTech / LSU-S merger is worth a try. The path Louisiana education has taken has not worked well based on experience.

And as far as athletically, the orginal pulbic universities would also have been much stronger without this over-expansion.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

So, you really expect a less powerful LSU to emerge from this? I don't see where this reduces anything. If you believe, as I do, that we need to convert some 4 year universities to 2 year, this is not what this does. This state could leave the colleges and universities as is and focus private intelligence on K through 12, and make me quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Surely you don't believe that this issue "ends the statewide domination of LSU politically". This does nothing to reduce LSU's political footprint. This only increases Tech's footprint at the loss of everyone but LSU.
    The political footprint of LSU Baton Rouge will not be reduced. Now, the political influence of Lombardi and the LSU System will be diminished if the merger goes forward.

I believe this will diminish LSU's statewide power, at least in the northern part of the state.

There have been no big ideas implemented in Louisiana education regarding mergers and expansions of existing universities, so maybe this will be the first with others to follow.

How to we reduce some of the four year universities in the state without a merger?

Originally or near the beginning, Louisiana had LaTech, Northwestern, Southwestern (UL), LSU and the private colleges - Louisiana College, Cenetenary (sp), Loyola, and, Tulane, and then HBC's - Southern and Grambling which was plenty of four year universities to service the state.

Why not grow these, and then add 2 year and/or technical colleges to fill in the gaps rather than expand with more four year universities to where we are today - just to many!!

Louisiana just kept watering down the academic quality of education by adding more universities with too few dollars to distribute, as well as, reluctant graduates to donate.

I believe the LaTech / LSU-S merger is worth a try. The path Louisiana education has taken has not worked well based on experience.

And as far as athletically, the orginal pulbic universities would also have been much stronger without this over-expansion.
    Louisiana has had a history of focusing on quantity over quality when it comes to higher education.

The state is beginning to push for the mergers of the technical colleges and community colleges in the Monroe, Lafayette, and Baton Rouge areas. This will strengthen the 2-year colleges and universities and eliminate duplicate departments and services between overlapping institutions.

I think the merger of Louisiana Tech and LSU-Shreveport can benefit both the Shreveport-Bossier City area and Louisiana Tech. SBC gets access to more university course offerings (engineering and research) from LA Tech while Tech gets access to one of the largest urban areas in the state. From Dr. Reneau's comments over the last few weeks, the Shreveport campus will be built up over time instead of being treated like a red-headed stepchild like it has been the last forty years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    The political footprint of LSU Baton Rouge will not be reduced. Now, the political influence of Lombardi and the LSU System will be diminished if the merger goes forward.
    All you mean is that Tech will grow and should become more powerful as a result. This, in very few instances will offset LSU (the university, not the city) in this state. A more powerful Tech simply reduces everyone but LSU. If LSU, right now, decided it wanted a bigger share of anything in this state, they could get it. When LSU feels "reduced", they only take from somewhere or something else. Again, all this does is help Tech. Period. No one in this state benefits from this "merger". 1970 likes the idea of poking LSU in the eye with a sharp stick. That is not going to do a damn thing for this state. LSUS is not on the top 50 issues in this state in education. Northwest Louisiana has nothing to barter with anyone in this state in return. The only thing your politicians have accomplished in the past 20 years was to buddy up to outside state interests and denigrate the rest of the state programs. Good luck in the state legislature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Louisiana has had a history of focusing on quantity over quality when it comes to higher education.
    Louisiana focused on a chicken in every single small pot so that nothing other than the large pot in Baton Rouge had significant political power. Every single group in this state admits there are too many higher education pots in this state, but when you ask who will give theirs up... silence. I still can't see how Ruston needs a 4 year university. Can't the school in Monroe (a larger city less than 30 minutes away) pick up those programs?

Tech would do a better job of running LSUS IMO, but I also think UL should have gotten the name change in 1984 upheld. How did your legislative group vote on that? Whatever happened to Tech honoring the UL football return game? Whatever happened to Tech and Dooley badmouthing UL to their boosters ("we're above playing them"). What went on with Shreveport and Tech with the Independence Bowl?

When your motto is "separation" just how do you recombine for a favorable state vote?

Talk to your Tech handlers about making friends... and some day they might influence people... outside of northwest Louisiana. It might not be too late. But, you better have spent some time sugaring up people like UL, and not just a bunch of Shreveport folks. We both go CUSA as a package, or neither of us does.

Don't talk about "the right thing to do" when every action in the past decade has been not just pro-Tech, but anti someone else in this state.

I guess that is the difference between a jock and a supporter; maybe a head-butt would have motivated you.

However, I believe Cajuns71 quote was probably accurate from what I have heard too.

1970--quote is accurate---I was in the room---Dad asked about the football situation and the answer was as quoted. I was a freshman at the time

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Louisiana focused on a chicken in every single small pot so that nothing other than the large pot in Baton Rouge had significant political power. Every single group in this state admits there are too many higher education pots in this state, but when you ask who will give theirs up... silence. I still can't see how Ruston needs a 4 year university. Can't the school in Monroe (a larger city less than 30 minutes away) pick up those programs?

Tech would do a better job of running LSUS IMO, but I also think UL should have gotten the name change in 1984 upheld. How did your legislative group vote on that? Whatever happened to Tech honoring the UL football return game? Whatever happened to Tech and Dooley badmouthing UL to their boosters ("we're above playing them"). What went on with Shreveport and Tech with the Independence Bowl?

When your motto is "separation" just how do you recombine for a favorable state vote?

Talk to your Tech handlers about making friends... and some day they might influence people... outside of northwest Louisiana. It might not be too late. But, you better have spent some time sugaring up people like UL, and not just a bunch of Shreveport folks. We both go CUSA as a package, or neither of us does.

Don't talk about "the right thing to do" when every action in the past decade has been not just pro-Tech, but anti someone else in this state.

Great Post---Ah what goes around comes around I think fits this bunch of phonies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns71 View Post
    1970--quote is accurate---I was in the room---Dad asked about the football situation and the answer was as quoted. I was a freshman at the time
    I believe it, and your comment has some relevance to the conversation. My Dad said JLF brought in Faulkenberry after SLI became a university because he believed Faulkenberry had good ethics and would recruit athletes that were strong academically and would graudate on-time, but also could compete well in football. My Dad also said JLf did not like or tolerate coaches or athletes who would fake being injured to get a penalty or cheat to win at all costs. Ethics questions were part of the interview. I don't know if all that worked out as planned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3