Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Georgia State...COME ON DOWN....

Default Re: Georgia State...COME ON DOWN....

Not so fast on declaring GayState the newest SBC member.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-s...a_state_sports

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I have not seen any creditable source that says UL has any shot at C-USA this round, although I agree that the Alliance is probably not going to happen. It would be great, but I have not heard anyone say that the administration is even pursuing membership in C-USA. I wish the SBC would add at least one Texas team in anticipation of UNT leaving. I also wish they could get rid of the "special child" they keep in the proverbial basement; (Moanroe.) This conference is not terrible anymore and could eventually be a better alternative than C-USA. Right now, C-USA is a legend in their own minds like the WAC was a few years back. We all know how that story turned out.
    If the SBC loses N TX, FIU and perhaps MT, what is left? We will be in a conference with ULM and likely 2 FCS schools moving up in GA Atate and TX State, plus USA also moving up to FBS. Ark State, WKU and UL would be the only teams with any credibility remaining, maybe FAU. This would render the SBC once again the lowest tier of FBS with the demise of the WAC. UL should be doing everything it can to move up. Why just wait another 5 years in hope of getting picked up? Even school's moving into FBS like UTSA have a higher vision than that.

Now, if N TX, FIU and MT stay and we add LA Tech, I agree the SBC looks pretty good. Without them, it is unimpressive to say the least. We need to envision what we can bring to a conference and sell that rather than settle for where we have been for so long. If we don't get in, so be it. There is no reason Tech should be selected before UL, but they are more likely to because they are aggressively pursuing it. And if they don't get on, the SBC would take them in a heartbeat at that point. What do we have to lose by putting our name into play? Why can't we think bigger now rather than 5 years from now? A lot of schools are selected based on potential and we exhibited that this year. We are in a competitive market and can brIng a lot to the CUSA, especially when you look at divisional scenarios, either South or West.

"What do we have to lose by putting our name into play? Why can't we think bigger now rather than 5 years from now? A lot of schools are selected based on potential and we exhibited that this year. We are in a competitive market and can brIng a lot to the CUSA, especially when you look at divisional scenarios, either South or West."

I don't disagree with you, but if you reread what I am saying you will see that from what I am seeing and hearing, UL is neither being considered nor pursuing membership in C-USA at this time. I think it would be wonderful to be in C-USA, but I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom View Post
    CUSA East-S. Miss, FIU, UAB, E. Carolina, Marshall, Middle Tennessee
    CUSA West-Rice, UL, Tulsa, N. Texas, Ark. State, Tulane
    I like that divisional break-out as well.

"What do we have to lose by putting our name into play? Why can't we think bigger now rather than 5 years from now? A lot of schools are selected based on potential and we exhibited that this year. We are in a competitive market and can brIng a lot to the CUSA, especially when you look at divisional scenarios, either South or West."

I don't disagree with you, but if you reread what I am saying you will see that from what I am seeing and hearing, UL is neither being considered nor pursuing membership in C-USA at this time. I think it would be wonderful to be in C-USA, but I just don't see it happening.
    The reason I am saying all of this is ULToday, who is in the know about all things UL, says Dr. S and AD Farmer are actively pursuing this behind closed doors. Because it is behind closed doors, none of us know anything. For that reason, no one on any of the conference and university boards is posting anything about us and very few of our fans are posting anything. Tech fans, on the other hand, are on every conference board and on every conference member board spouting why Tech is the perfect choice. Granted, the Presidents make the decision, but publicity never hurts. If Tech isn't selected, they will end up in the SBC. If UL isn't selected, I can only hope that Tech doesn't get in either. No more separation, unless of course, we are the ones who are separated this time around. Let Ruston and Monroe share a conference together. How great would that be?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Georgia State...COME ON DOWN....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    If the SBC loses N TX, FIU and perhaps MT, what is left? We will be in a conference with ULM and likely 2 FCS schools moving up in GA Atate and TX State, plus USA also moving up to FBS. Ark State, WKU and UL would be the only teams with any credibility remaining, maybe FAU. This would render the SBC once again the lowest tier of FBS with the demise of the WAC. UL should be doing everything it can to move up. Why just wait another 5 years in hope of getting picked up? Even school's moving into FBS like UTSA have a higher vision than that.

Now, if N TX, FIU and MT stay and we add LA Tech, I agree the SBC looks pretty good. Without them, it is unimpressive to say the least. We need to envision what we can bring to a conference and sell that rather than settle for where we have been for so long. If we don't get in, so be it. There is no reason Tech should be selected before UL, but they are more likely to because they are aggressively pursuing it. And if they don't get on, the SBC would take them in a heartbeat at that point. What do we have to lose by putting our name into play? Why can't we think bigger now rather than 5 years from now? A lot of schools are selected based on potential and we exhibited that this year. We are in a competitive market and can brIng a lot to the CUSA, especially when you look at divisional scenarios, either South or West.
    I agree with your post except for this part ... I personally think LaTech is prostituting themselves with their desire to be in C-USA et al. On their behalf, they have to do this or else it will be ... SBC IFF we take them. If our leaders are working to position UL to be in the best possible position to be invited into a "better" conference as I expect they are; we don't need to see it publisized so that everyone in our conference sees all we want is out. That just is not very professional and sure doesn't make for strong partnerships with conference mates. Why do you think they would be selected because they are "aggressively pursuing it"? What about that pesky mosquito that keeps buzzing around your neck ... just because they are aggressively pursuing it, you don't let them land and bite do you?

Have faith, we are a new university and we will prevail!

I have not seen any creditable source that says UL has any shot at C-USA this round, although I agree that the Alliance is probably not going to happen. It would be great, but I have not heard anyone say that the administration is even pursuing membership in C-USA. I wish the SBC would add at least one Texas team in anticipation of UNT leaving. I also wish they could get rid of the "special child" they keep in the proverbial basement; (Moanroe.) This conference is not terrible anymore and could eventually be a better alternative than C-USA. Right now, C-USA is a legend in their own minds like the WAC was a few years back. We all know how that story turned out.
    I think I have come around to your way of thinking, after waiting for about 30 "final decisions by June." The Sun Belt has proven to be more bullet proof than other mid-major conferences whose members are looking to move out. To me it would behoove us to get consistently successful where we are. In a couple of years we may be able to attract a CUSA or MWC refugee who is left behind. Assuming the WAC is on its deathbead, I could see a Texas school in the SBC. I can't see UTSA getting a better deal after one season of football than the Sun Belt, so conceivably you could add Atlanta and San Antonio to the conference.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    ..... so conceivably you could add Atlanta and San Antonio to the conference.

By all credible reports, Atlanta is in.

San Antonio and Charlotte will wait until June for a CUSA invite. They won't get it. They will be added to the SBC this summer.

After that, the most worried people in FBS should reside in San Marcos and Ruston. Both of these schools will be waiting in line behind the 3 cities mentioned above. Maybe they both get in, maybe one of them gets in, or maybe neither. Who knows?

I do know one thing, though. I don't think the people from these 2 schools realize just how close they both are to realizing the wonders of Southland football for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

San Antonio and Charlotte will wait until June for a CUSA invite. They won't get it. They will be added to the SBC this summer.

After that, the most worried people in FBS should reside in San Marcos and Ruston. Both of these schools will be waiting in line behind the 3 cities mentioned above. Maybe they both get in, maybe one of them gets in, or maybe neither. Who knows?

I do know one thing, though. I don't think the people from these 2 schools realize just how close they both are to realizing the wonders of Southland football for the next several years.
    If only ULM would come to that realization.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post

I think our people have been, and probably are pursuing CUSA membership privately (speculation on my part) but aren't taking the "CUSA or Bust" public stance La Tech is. I just wonder how much recycling CUSA and the MWC can do before they go the way of the WAC. And I wonder if we're ready for it. Gas up your car and get out your checkbook. We need the alums and fans to come home early and often. Especially in this climate of budget cuts, when our RCAF contributions have to make up the ground we lose before we can increase our funding. I'm willing to go along with anything they decide if able.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan83 View Post
    Didn't really research them until now but it's growing on me a little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_University
    On April 17, 2008, Georgia State officially announced that Panthers would play Division I FCS college football starting in 2010. The school would compete in the Colonial Athletic Association, with home games at the 71,228 seat Georgia Dome; the school has built a practice field and training facilities, both a few blocks away from campus.[15][16] On June 12, 2008, Georgia State announced that Bill Curry would become the University's first head football coach.[17] Georgia State earned a 41-7 victory against Shorter University in its inaugural game on September 2, 2010, with 30,237 fans in attendance, which surpassed the university's estimate of 25,000.[18]

The main thing I saw in the Wikipedia link is that Bill Curry is the coach.

Blog Entries

As are several others, UTSA and UNC-Charlotte are only two. Several others are waiting on final word from CUSA and then it will be done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ronnied View Post
    On April 17, 2008, Georgia State officially announced that Panthers would play Division I FCS college football starting in 2010. The school would compete in the Colonial Athletic Association, with home games at the 71,228 seat Georgia Dome; the school has built a practice field and training facilities, both a few blocks away from campus.[15][16] On June 12, 2008, Georgia State announced that Bill Curry would become the University's first head football coach.[17] Georgia State earned a 41-7 victory against Shorter University in its inaugural game on September 2, 2010, with 30,237 fans in attendance, which surpassed the university's estimate of 25,000.[18]

It gives the Sun Belt Conferene another large media market. At present time, it does nothing to strenghten the conferece RPI in football for sometime, just like USA and WKU.

The main thing I saw in the Wikipedia link is that Bill Curry is the coach.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Georgia State...COME ON DOWN....

....you are the next contestant on SBC Price is Right!!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...urphy/18265934
    More like come home Georgia State.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/Vi...&ATCLID=610435

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Well we get another mostly blue and white with some red color!!!That makes 4 with these colors now---USA, FAU, G ST, and Tech!!! Well maybe??????????????

Here's someone that doesn't like the GayState to SBC move, and he has no problem voicing his opinion on State coach Bill Curry.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday....tour#storyjump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2