Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BaseBall - Ragin' Cajuns vs Kansas - UTSA Classic

Default Re: BB - Ragin' Cajuns vs Kansas - UTSA Classic

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I did not get any gun readings, but I can confidently say he looked about 85-86. Not a hard thrower.

It was a very rough start as the Jayhawks hit .500 against him in the first 12 AB. But he settled in and was having success with his breaking ball.

Brian
    so how do you think he is going to fit in for the rest of the season

actually i heard from a source that that Griffitt kid was throwing in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    actually i heard from a source that that Griffitt kid was throwing in the 90s
    That would really surprise me, but if true I was fooled.

FWIW, Perfect Game had him throwing 83mph in July 2008, nearly four years ago (before his senior season in high school).

Perfect Game had Kellogg throwing 91mph in July 2010 (after his senior year) ... 89mph after his junior year. Against Kansas, Kellogg I saw plenty of 90 readings, a 91mph pitch that hit the batter, and a 92mph. I should also clarify that this was one of the older Juggs guns. Juggs guns measure velocity as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand ... and thus results in a higher reading than other gun types. Some of the older gunds measure plate speed. The newer Stalker guns can measure speed as it leaves the pitcher's hand, average speed, and plate speed via configuration setting.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    That would really surprise me, but if true I was fooled.

FWIW, Perfect Game had him throwing 83mph in July 2008, nearly four years ago (before his senior season in high school).

Perfect Game had Kellogg throwing 91mph in July 2010 (after his senior year) ... 89mph after his junior year. Against Kansas, Kellogg I saw plenty of 90 readings, a 91mph pitch that hit the batter, and a 92mph. I should also clarify that this was one of the older Juggs guns. Juggs guns measure velocity as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand ... and thus results in a higher reading than other gun types. Some of the older gunds measure plate speed. The newer Stalker guns can measure speed as it leaves the pitcher's hand, average speed, and plate speed via configuration setting.

Brian
    I would think plate speed would be more important than hand speed. Although significant differences between the two might make it tougher to pick up for the hitter, IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    I would think plate speed would be more important than hand speed. Although significant differences between the two might make it tougher to pick up for the hitter, IDK.
    I bring that up simply to drive home the point that a claim that a particular pitcher throwing XXmph should be qualified.

For example, I am quite certain that the radar gun readings (a Stalker gun) at Reckling Park pick up the speed of the ball when it exits the pitcher's hand. Hence the higher readings you get there.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Speed at the plate is important. More important is the consistency of the measuring tool. It is all relative. The baseball community has generally settled on the Stalker as the standard currency of measurement. They are not fool proof and require lining up directly parallel to the target line for accuracy. Each degree off parallel decreases accuracy. The older JUGS guns are generally regarded as "faster".

well i guess my sources are bad he must be terrible pitcher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2