Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why we don't play those cowboys down 1-10

Default Why we don't play those cowboys down 1-10

I understand that to some people,playing Mcneese is a stupid idea.But to others,including myself,it's not only a good idea economic wise because of crowd attendance,but it's also nice to revisit an old rivalry.

According to the stats,we got our butts handed to us in 07... 38-17.
    Now why,judging by the talented team we have now,would we NOT push to play them.I mean come on,I for one wanna shut those country boys up!
    Are we scared or something.Imagine the crowd size for that game.The amount of money made.The intensity of the game.There's nothing that says its a bad idea.I may be wrong,but i hear that WE turn down offers from them.
    Someone fill me in

Default Re: Why we don't play those cowboys down 1-10

Let me be the first to say...

Meh..

Yawn

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Raginpride91 View Post
    I understand that to some people,playing Mcneese is a stupid idea.But to others,including myself,it's not only a good idea economic wise because of crowd attendance,but it's also nice to revisit an old rivalry.

Now why,judging by the talented team we have now,would we NOT push to play them.I mean come on,I for one wanna shut those country boys up!
    Are we scared or something.Imagine the crowd size for that game.The amount of money made.The intensity of the game.There's nothing that says its a bad idea.I may be wrong,but i hear that WE turn down offers from them.
    Someone fill me in
    First of all, McNeese turned us down when we were short a game due to their schedule being full. So we started negotiating with Lamar, then McNeese had Texas A&M drop them from the schedule. They called us to see if we were interested in playing now that they had an open date. But we were already set to sign contracts to play Lamar, but we held off on signing the contracts in order to try to get McNeese in this year. That lasted about 1 day, McNeese wanted nearly twice as much money to come play in Lafayette than Lamar, so it was simple economics on our end and stupidity/greed on McNeese's part.

I hope that helps you out.

Someone fill me in
    How about you read the other long thread that finally died down just a few days ago? Instead of starting up this ____ show again...

We turned them down because we already a deal being planned with another school. We shouldn't burn bridges with one school because another school is begging to play us. Let them beg for god sake. We don't owe them anything, we have a bowl win...we have a winning team...we have HUD. That's all...

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Someone fill me in
    Where did you hear that? You been talking to Kieth Romero?

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Amount of money McNeese wanted as a guarantee was much less than what Lamar was willing to take. We crunched the nos. and reached a conclusion that we were better off playing Lamar as we will have huge amount of Cajun fans attend the home opener. After last season, we don't need to have our opponent bring the crowd. Cajun fans now come to see the Cajuns play, no matter the opponent. When McNeese tells you we are afraid of them, I turn it around on them. Had they been willing to accept a reasonable guarantee, we would likely be playing the Cowboys. As they were not, I wonder if they are afraid to play us. Also, some say they demanded a home and home out of the deal. I don't know if I believe that but it has been reported. No FBS team plays at an FCS school these days so it was silly to even propose it if it did occur. Besides, the SBC rules do not alow us to play at an FCS school. Next time, McNeese tells you we are afraid of them, remind them that they could have played had they been willing to accept a reasonable payday and they are the ones afraid of playing since they did not.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I thought it was because we were scared?

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Amount of money McNeese wanted as a guarantee was much less than what Lamar was willing to take. We crunched the nos. and reached a conclusion that we were better off playing Lamar as we will have huge amount of Cajun fans attend the home opener. After last season, we don't need to have our opponent bring the crowd. Cajun fans now come to see the Cajuns play, no matter the opponent. When McNeese tells you we are afraid of them, I turn it around on them. Had they been willing to accept a reasonable guarantee, we would likely be playing the Cowboys. As they were not, I wonder if they are afraid to play us. Also, some say they demanded a home and home out of the deal. I don't know if I believe that but it has been reported. No FBS team plays at an FCS school these days so it was silly to even propose it if it did occur. Besides, the SBC rules do not alow us to play at an FCS school. Next time, McNeese tells you we are afraid of them, remind them that they could have played had they been willing to accept a reasonable payday and they are the ones afraid of playing since they did not.
    Am I reading this correctly???? Don't you mean that the money McNeese was willing to take was much more than Lamar?????

*Sigh* smh...who let this thread through?

I hear Cajun T was scared.

Someone fill me in
    One good policy the Sunbelt has is that we play no FCS, division II college at their place. If mickey Neese wants to play us so much, play for free and come over and enjoy real tailgating. I don't want msu to benefit from our success. Hey they beat us and beat us bad but my feelings that I am not afraid of getting beat as them getting money from us.
    Still mad at their part in the 1984 Name reversal.
    If you don't know that, then you need to get educated.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Am I reading this correctly???? Don't you mean that the money McNeese was willing to take was much more than Lamar?????
    I meant money McNeese was REQUIRING to play was much more than what Lamar required.

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    One good policy the Sunbelt has is that we play no FCS, division II college at their place. If mickey Neese wants to play us so much, play for free and come over and enjoy real tailgating. I don't want msu to benefit from our success. Hey they beat us and beat us bad but my feelings that I am not afraid of getting beat as them getting money from us.
    Still mad at their part in the 1984 Name reversal.
    If you don't know that, then you need to get educated.

GEAUX CAJUNS
    Its nto just the name reversal. McNeese convinced the SLC to make moves to thwart our decision to go D1A (forced us to choose between all sports in D1aa in the SLC or go independent in all sports in D1A) when the division was created. They have spent the past 3 plus decades telling us how great D1aa was and to know our place. Now that we have an admin that will finally support success they are gnashing their teeth about their failure to make the same move yet refuse to acknowledge that they were wrong or all of their attempts to block our moves to improve ourselves. Since they didn't think much of our decision to be D1A back then they shouldn't get any benefit from us now. IMO. Screw 'em.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Its nto just the name reversal. McNeese convinced the SLC to make moves to thwart our decision to go D1A (forced us to choose between all sports in D1aa in the SLC or go independent in all sports in D1A) when the division was created. They have spent the past 3 plus decades telling us how great D1aa was and to know our place. Now that we have an admin that will finally support success they are gnashing their teeth about their failure to make the same move yet refuse to acknowledge that they were wrong or all of their attempts to block our moves to improve ourselves. Since they didn't think much of our decision to be D1A back then they shouldn't get any benefit from us now. IMO. Screw 'em.
    Thanks to you & Cajunsmike for posting reasonable reasons. For everyone else it would sound like fear is the big motivator. I will say this. UL should schedule them anyway, because UL should kick their behinds & set things straight. As it is right now, whether UL fan likes it or not, McNeese fan has bragging rights because they earned them on the playing field.

While I understand the reasoning that's given about McNeese wants more money, they will guarantee at least 10k extra people that only a Southern would guarantee. If UL didn't want to pay them more then they should have had what it took to win that last game. Schedule them again & beat the crap out of them, then they will have nothing to brag about. If they wan to play after that, then they should play for free or no more than gas money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Thanks to you & Cajunsmike for posting reasonable reasons. For everyone else it would sound like fear is the big motivator. I will say this. UL should schedule them anyway, because UL should kick their behinds & set things straight. As it is right now, whether UL fan likes it or not, McNeese fan has bragging rights because they earned them on the playing field.

While I understand the reasoning that's given about McNeese wants more money, they will guarantee at least 10k extra people that only a Southern would guarantee. If UL didn't want to pay them more then they should have had what it took to win that last game. Schedule them again & beat the crap out of them, then they will have nothing to brag about. If they wan to play after that, then they should play for free or no more than gas money anyway.
    I actually agree. I understand the financial reasons we are not playing them.....but we should have forgone that and whipped there axx.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I actually agree. I understand the financial reasons we are not playing them.....but we should have forgone that and whipped there axx.
    IMO, there are more than financial considerations for not playing them this year. I don't fear playing them and don't mind playing them from time-to-time, but the days of our old rivalry are over long ago. There has always been a LOT of bad blood between the schools and I have never felt that it was a healthy rivalry. For me, that goes back to the early 70's. I would just as soon never play them. Let them rot in FCS hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post

The problem is that they believe they deserve more money to play than other FCS teams. And as you state, Southern brings more fans so what happens the next time we try to schedule Southern? they point to the mcneese payout and demand more. They are not the first FCS team we have turned down for demanding too great of a payout. Grambling was another one.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Two things, maybe more.

1: We already had an agreement in understanding with LU, and it would not be right to renege.

2: We owe McBrokeBack U nothing, not the time of day, they have always run against our best interest even when those interest helps them. Most recently the athletic funding UL and LTU proposed which would help the McNutts but not as much as us was stalled by them. The name thing will never be overlooked or forgotten.

3: I would rather lose to TAMU than beat the McNutts because beating them means zero, regardless of last game played. Before that game we had beaten them, so this would never end. They would like to be a rival much like the Hoax but neither are. I felt a lot worse losing to UALR than the Hoax in the last two weeks so how is that a rival game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast