_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gazzolo View: McNeese, UL need to renew rivarly

UL Football Gazzolo View: McNeese, UL need to renew rivarly

Let's get this right.

Last week the University of Louisiana signed a deal to play Lamar in the season opener for football next fall.

Friday McNeese State did the same to play at Middle Tennessee State.

Strange.

The rest of the story

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Gazzolo View: McNeese, UL need to renew rivarly

Lets get this right, the University prefers to be called the University of Louisiana. Now we know the Mickey Neese boys in Lake Chuck (thats for roaming trolls like Keith Romero) are not going to honor that wish. But the University also specifically asked not to be called "ULL" yet you Brokeback Cowboys continue to use that and any number of other references other than what the University has declared as acceptable. So maybe before you Brokeback Boys want to whine and talk about us being reasonable and finding ways to make this happen you should first learn that respect is a two way street and demonstrate some of it.

BTW, Keith, calling Z and fishing for info does not make you some Brokeback DoubleNaught spy with inside information on UL.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We averaged 29+ last year. We got 33K when we played McNeese in 07'. 4K will not make or break us. We will make more money with Lamar. Its a dollars and cents thing.

Sorry, thats all it is.

Z

Hey, maybe if the mcnutts wouldn't have gotten gready and tried to hold out for more money we would have scheduled them but instead we got Lamar at a better price. Its called negotiating from a postion of strength. Now there is your inside information as to what really happened, Kieth, as oppossed to your fantasy of Hud being scared of the Brokeback Cowboys from Lake Chuck..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Lets get this right, the University prefers to be called the University of Louisiana. Now we know the Mickey Neese boys in Lake Chuck (thats for roaming trolls like Keith Romero) are not going to honor that wish. But the University also specifically asked not to be called "ULL" yet you Brokeback Cowboys continue to use that and any number of other references other than what the University has declared as acceptable. So maybe before you Brokeback Boys want to whine and talk about us being reasonable and finding ways to make this happen you should first learn that respect is a two way street and demonstrate some of it.

BTW, Keith, calling Z and fishing for info does not make you some Brokeback DoubleNaught spy with inside information on UL.
    Nothing wrong with the article Hammer, it actually is one of the better ones written out the American Press in some time on this subject. He is correct on several statements as I read them, although I would add several notes to them.

"While the Cowboys drew 12,226 fans a game last year, ULL averaged 29,370. See, the playing field is not level. For the record, Middle Tennessee drew 18,666.

Those numbers would show the game should be played in Lafayette, but there are others.

"The largest crowd in Cowboy Stadium history came against the Cajuns in 1976, as 27,500 overflowed the stands. That's more than any road game ULL had last year outside of nonconference games at Oklahoma State and Arizona."

Sure, but playing a ranked BCS program on the road gives your athletes the chance to play against BCS programs and for much more money. In addition to that, McNeese State has never come close to that 27,500 again, including UL's last visit to Lake Charles with Brian Mitchel. His one example happened more then 35 years ago, hardly worth discussing it. Its not going to happen in Lake Charles period. Until Tulane, Louisiana Tech or ULM visit Lake Charles, there is not case to be made on the subject.

"As for the last time the teams met, 33,828 flocked to Cajun Field. It will be interesting to see what Lamar brings to the table.

Oh yes, McNeese won that game 38-17, adding fuel to conspiracy talk of the Cajuns not being so ragin' to play the Cowboys again."

He is correct, it is nothing more then conspiracy talk ,all of it coming out of Lake Charles. Hey, if that's what it takes to get their alumni excited or more interested about this upcoming season after two lack luster years, I say more power to them. But make no mistake about it, Mark Hudspeth is not scared of playing McNeese State at home.

"College football is losing enough rivals with all this conference change, so it would be nice to see an old one get renewed. And with the price of gas, it makes money sense as well.

So fellas, let's get it right.

Play the game."

The game will get scheduled again, but it will never be a yearly event. UL will rotate other state schools and regional FCS programs into the mix. And UL should never break off negotiations with Lamar or any other program just for McNeese State, that is not how you build relationships for future games. UL will need games in the future from Lamar as well.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Oh and don't forget that McNeese had a game scheduled and we were in the middle of lamar negotiations at the time and followed through on it!!! Sorry maybe next time!!!

And this coming from the team who forgot their basketball uniforms???? One of the most bizarre games I ever saw! They don't exactly hire the smartest folks to begin with, I guess its hard to get quality articles in their paper too!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Nothing wrong with the article Hammer, it actually is one of the better ones written out the American Press in some time on this subject. He is correct on several statements as I read them, although I would add several notes to them.

"While the Cowboys drew 12,226 fans a game last year, ULL averaged 29,370. See, the playing field is not level. For the record, Middle Tennessee drew 18,666.

Those numbers would show the game should be played in Lafayette, but there are others.

"The largest crowd in Cowboy Stadium history came against the Cajuns in 1976, as 27,500 overflowed the stands. That's more than any road game ULL had last year outside of nonconference games at Oklahoma State and Arizona."

Sure, but playing a ranked BCS program on the road gives your athletes the chance to play against BCS programs and for much more money. In addition to that, McNeese State has never come close to that 27,500 again, including UL's last visit to Lake Charles with Brian Mitchel. His one example happened more then 35 years ago, hardly worth discussing it. Its not going to happen in Lake Charles period. Until Tulane, Louisiana Tech or ULM visit Lake Charles, there is not case to be made on the subject.

"As for the last time the teams met, 33,828 flocked to Cajun Field. It will be interesting to see what Lamar brings to the table.

Oh yes, McNeese won that game 38-17, adding fuel to conspiracy talk of the Cajuns not being so ragin' to play the Cowboys again."

He is correct, it is nothing more then conspiracy talk ,all of it coming out of Lake Charles. Hey, if that's what it takes to get their alumni excited or more interested about this upcoming season after two lack luster years, I say more power to them. But make no mistake about it, Mark Hudspeth is not scared of playing McNeese State at home.

"College football is losing enough rivals with all this conference change, so it would be nice to see an old one get renewed. And with the price of gas, it makes money sense as well.

So fellas, let's get it right.

Play the game."

The game will get scheduled again, but it will never be a yearly event. UL will rotate other state schools and regional FCS programs into the mix. And UL should never break off negotiations with Lamar or any other program just for McNeese State, that is not how you build relationships for future games. UL will need games in the future from Lamar as well.
    I completely agree with your assessment, T. This is the fairest article to come out of McNeese State's home newspaper since I've been reading for over 50 some odd years. And I hate that school with a passion when it comes to sports!

By the way, I was there in 1976 when we got cheated out of victory when the home town refs called a pass interference penalty on us on a fourth and 21 play late in the last quarter when we were up. Every time Oliver and Henry hooked up after that, a holding flag was tossed at the line of scrimmage. A high school classmate of mine who attended McNeese and sat by me at that game still tells me that he was sorry and embarrassed by the officiating that wet, muddy night in Lake Chuck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gueydanmayor View Post
    I completely agree with your assessment, T. This is the fairest article to come out of McNeese State's home newspaper since I've been reading for over 50 some odd years. And I hate that school with a passion when it comes to sports!

By the way, I was there in 1976 when we got cheated out of victory when the home town refs called a pass interference penalty on us on a fourth and 21 play late in the last quarter when we were up. Every time Oliver and Henry hooked up after that, a holding flag was tossed at the line of scrimmage. A high school classmate of mine who attended McNeese and sat by me at that game still tells me that he was sorry and embarrassed by the officiating that wet, muddy night in Lake Chuck.
    Remember that game, wasn't it the one Rafeal Setphian missed a FG for the win? I made a bet with a family member on that game, had to cut his yard for two weeks. Hated McNeese State even more after that game.

If I am not mistaken, we lost this game 20-19, but Septien did not miss a late field goal. Instead, the officials called pass interference on the Cajuns on a fourth and 21 or so down the east sideline going south in the mud and rain when both players dove for the football, which was overthrown by at least seven yards. That was a spot foul then, and gave the ball to McNeese some forty yards down the field. Aided by the officials, the Cowgirls scored and went ahead.

Then, Cajun QB Roy Henry hit WR David Oliver with a long pass to the Cowgirl 20, but the officials brought that back with a late holding call at the line of scrimmage. Oliver earlier made one of the best TD catches I have ever seen, laying out in the back of the north end zone for the Cajuns and holding on in the rain, mud, and grime. Another holding call prevented another completion, and facing a fourth and 25, we failed to convert, with the Cowgirls holding on for the win.

I went into the locker room after the game and there were a lot of sad, angry faces in there. We were so much better that year, but could not beat McNeese AND the OFFICIALS that evening.

Boy, did I have a hangover that next morning...

If that is the same game..I was sitting in the s/w corner of the end zone and the Cajun player did not touch the McNeese player...ref called it but he was not in position..there was clear daylight between the two..I believe it was 1976..was a very upsetting loss..I still hate that game!

True, for a Lake Upchuck American Press article it was not bad. My comments are directed more at the brokeback administration, supporters and fans and there attitude towards UL. If they want us doing them favors they need to rethink their attitude towards UL and how they approach us. Because the reality is they need us more than we need them.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Remember that game, wasn't it the one Rafeal Setphian missed a FG for the win? I made a bet with a family member on that game, had to cut his yard for two weeks. Hated McNeese State even more after that game.
    Septien missed an extra point in the 21 to 20 loss in 1976. The controversial interference call late in the game that was referred to earlier led to McNeese scoring a late TD for the win. By the way, with Lamar as the season opener next year, we will have close to 30000 attend as a few of the folks in Beaumont will travel. Had McNeese accepted the same terms Lamar did, we would have played. Now who is scared of who?

I need to round-up the video that Augie made of that year we won all and then ____ed away games to N'Western and Mc N!!!

Hud said 35 K average this year!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    Awesome post!

Check out the comment under the article from someone named "D G Brown."

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Clampett View Post
    Awesome post!
    Billy's famous neutered gnat nuts ..

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Check out the comment under the article from someone named "D G Brown."
    Very well stated comment. It puts an end to it as far as I'm concerned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast