Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Cajunsmike and I both work here at a major in Lafayette and are on the recruiting team to hire engineers. We have hired several PEs with masters from UL. I'm not certain about the rate for master's graduates but I believe the undergrad program has managed to place 100% of the PE grads upon graduation in recent years. I know it has been a competitive market with numerous candidates we offered having several offers from competitors.
    Hiring any ee's haha

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Hiring any ee's haha
    As of about 2 months ago my old company was in the market for an EE. Company is in Pineville though. Also looking for one at their San Diego office.

  3. #43
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Hiring any ee's haha
    I don't recall if we've ever had any EEs apply for the type of jobs we interview for. Generally we look at PE, ME, and ChemE. I do know EEs are prevalent in many of the logging service companies

  4. #44
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses. From what I've read at other sites, it seems like the UL program is fantastic and especially the faculty here is very personable and helpful. The reason I asked about the job market post graduation is because I'm just a little bit worried after hearing a few conflicting reports regarding the recent job market trends in the field. (http://costofcollege.wordpress.com/2...ring-students/) I have seen this report on several sites and it is a legitimate report passed out by the TAMU engineering school. I'm not highly concerned as I am just very interested in the field and learning about the process of drilling, etc. however, it will be nice if there are plenty of jobs available too. Hammer58 do you know what region the people hired from UL generally end up working around? Any particular area/company with the highest concentration of UL pet eng. grads?

    I'm applying to ULL right now along with the other schools and at this point I'm not even thinking about choosing between multiple schools, I'll consider that if and when I'm in that position. From these posts I gather the ULL program will well fit my needs.
    I don't know of any particular company that has a particularly high concentration of UL grads. We have a number in our office and in our company. One of our recently retired VPs was a UL grad. We interview at UL but place them all across the country depending on the needs of the company and the interests of the individual.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brownsville, TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Hiring any ee's haha
    If you're interested in moving to Houston, PM me

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I don't know of any particular company that has a particularly high concentration of UL grads. We have a number in our office and in our company. One of our recently retired VPs was a UL grad. We interview at UL but place them all across the country depending on the needs of the company and the interests of the individual.
    For those of you working in the oil and gas industry currently, what are the prospects of someone with a bachelors in environmental engineering and a masters in petroleum. Is that something employers would value more or less? Ideally, I wanted to focus on the environmental aspects of fracking, i.e. fracking fluid or wastewater treatment and general EHS aspects. so I thought an more in-depth technical understanding of the extraction processes would better position me to work within that field too. I also like the engineering aspects of designing/drilling a well so maybe even a position as a reservoir/drilling engineer would be interesting. Thanks for the response and suggestions so far!

  7. #47
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    For those of you working in the oil and gas industry currently, what are the prospects of someone with a bachelors in environmental engineering and a masters in petroleum. Is that something employers would value more or less? Ideally, I wanted to focus on the environmental aspects of fracking, i.e. fracking fluid or wastewater treatment and general EHS aspects. so I thought an more in-depth technical understanding of the extraction processes would better position me to work within that field too. I also like the engineering aspects of designing/drilling a well so maybe even a position as a reservoir/drilling engineer would be interesting. Thanks for the response and suggestions so far!
    That combo sounds like it would be more suited for R&D type work which would be a separate arm of my company though we do refer candidates to that division when we come across them in the interview process. But for us those positions are not as plentiful as reservoir, drilling, facilities or production engineers.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,798

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    For those of you working in the oil and gas industry currently, what are the prospects of someone with a bachelors in environmental engineering and a masters in petroleum. Is that something employers would value more or less? Ideally, I wanted to focus on the environmental aspects of fracking, i.e. fracking fluid or wastewater treatment and general EHS aspects. so I thought an more in-depth technical understanding of the extraction processes would better position me to work within that field too. I also like the engineering aspects of designing/drilling a well so maybe even a position as a reservoir/drilling engineer would be interesting. Thanks for the response and suggestions so far!
    Sounds like a setup for work with an environmental firm or an environmental division with the big boys.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    That combo sounds like it would be more suited for R&D type work which would be a separate arm of my company though we do refer candidates to that division when we come across them in the interview process. But for us those positions are not as plentiful as reservoir, drilling, facilities or production engineers.
    Ok yeah definitely would make for a good R&D position, but I feel like I would enjoy being on the field near a job site more. Would probably be helpful to do some internships to see how I enjoy working as maybe a reservoir/drilling engineer before I decide with certainty what I really want to do.

  10. #50
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Ok yeah definitely would make for a good R&D position, but I feel like I would enjoy being on the field near a job site more. Would probably be helpful to do some internships to see how I enjoy working as maybe a reservoir/drilling engineer before I decide with certainty what I really want to do.
    Internships are the way to go. Gives you a taste of the job and really allows you to show what you can do. The majority of our interns wind up getting full time offers. It's not automatic but it really gives them a chance to shine much more than the one hour interview.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,975

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Others here could give you better advice than me but if you're interested in working in the petroleum industry why not just get a pet. engineering degree and either minor or master in something more specialized? I think that would give you way more options for employment in the industry.


  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    If you're interested in moving to Houston, PM me
    Done

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Others here could give you better advice than me but if you're interested in working in the petroleum industry why not just get a pet. engineering degree and either minor or master in something more specialized? I think that would give you way more options for employment in the industry.
    Actually, I already have a bachelors in envt engr. I am considering a masters in pet eng now though, unfortunately no schools in Georgia offer pet eng.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Any possibilities of interning somewhere this summer, perhaps? I wouldn't even mind if it is just shadowing some engineers on the field and if it were unpaid.


  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,975

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Actually, I already have a bachelors in envt engr. I am considering a masters in pet eng now though, unfortunately no schools in Georgia offer pet eng.
    Oh, sorry I missed that. Carry on.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Any possibilities of interning somewhere this summer, perhaps? I wouldn't even mind if it is just shadowing some engineers on the field and if it were unpaid.
    Are you looking for strictly Lafayette area for internships? I am not an engineer but I am an environmental compliance manager for a very large company in Houston. My boss is an EE and counterparts are PE's and EE's. My company is always looking for internship here in the Houston area. Not sure if it is what you are looking for but would be glad to help with anything I could.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Are you looking for Lafayette area?
    I have no particular regional preference, willing to go anywhere.

  18. #58
    DaddyCajun's Avatar
    DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Da Cro
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by njustice View Post
    Canterbury Square, Steeple Chase and Maison Bocage are pretty good places in the middle of town.
    Campus Edge, University Square, and UL has some 5000 new dorms right on campus. All these areas are safe! UL also has its own police force!

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Any Petroleum Engineering guys here to help him make up his mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Are you looking for strictly Lafayette area for internships? I am not an engineer but I am an environmental compliance manager for a very large company in Houston. My boss is an EE and counterparts are PE's and EE's. My company is always looking for internship here in the Houston area. Not sure if it is what you are looking for but would be glad to help with anything I could.
    That definitely sounds interesting, I would like to find out more if possible. I think I tried messaging you but not sure if you received my message, I'm new to these forums! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •