Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: CUSA amd MWC to Merge Under a New Conference Name

Default Re: CUSA amd MWC to Merge Under a New Conference Name

What happens when people don't show up to games for the new MergAlliance? Then all they will have is a better than it used to be TV contract. The only thing it has going for it is a little pub on ESPN...if any other conference makes moves they will forget the MergAlliance ever existed.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    My man, ESPN has been in the forefront of conference realignment. Don't think they will not play some role in getting several east coast programs into this conference. They played a huge role in the Big East's new alignment, that is a matter of public record now. Too many people here are under the assumption that the NCAA has not been giving these 16 presidents preliminary advise on what too consider in creating a new conference. Does anyone believe that the NCAA won't grant temporary waivers to this new conference?
    What's up my man T?
    I didn't say that I understood anything about what is going on behind the scenes, or what waivers or even permanent rule changes, regarding conferences, conference championships, limits on numbers of games, etc that may be coming in conjunction with this merger. I, in fact, don't understand this merger on the surface. Some are claiming the merger, by itself, on the surface, makes sense. It does not. On the surface, it's just a big conference of schools that combined don't help each other... again... on the surface. It will require an odd collaboration with the NCAA to make this work. As for TV, I don't get where this does anything special. ESPN can do anything they want. I just don't get where this is a bunch of markets merging in some big additional TV audience.

I do, in fact, believe the member presidents have worked out something that makes this more attractive than it looks on the surface. I didn't think the NCAA was doing anything substantial, but assisting the AQ conferences. I would think Scott Farmer, by now, knows exactly what the end game is with alignment.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Do you watch other Sunbelt games when they are on TV?
    You asked this question that has nothing to do with the merger, and you got answers. Again, your question could have been "how many CUSA fans watch the other CUSA televised match ups"? And, "how many MWC fans watch the other MWC televised match ups". The real question for TV is "how many CUSA fans are now going to switch from whatever they watch... to MWC match ups"? I think that is a very small group. I think they'd rather watch the AQ conference games that are televised in their region. I think most UL fans, even if we merged with MAC... and we had TV coverage of the MAC... would watch SBC and SEC games 98% of the time over those MAC games... and TV people know that.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Opinions as to where this will end up and the impact it might have on the Belt and UL specifically are all over he map. Tough thing for those like me trying to decide what to make of the merger is that all of the predictions and opinions have at least SOME merit. The next 24 or so months will be pretty darn interesting.

The merger between CUSA and MWC will be a huge failure. A conference that spreads from Wyoming to East Carolina. Really?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    The merger between CUSA and MWC will be a huge failure. A conference that spreads from Wyoming to East Carolina. Really?
    You fail to understand... East Carolina has been dying to get Wyoming football for over 500 years. I think "Big Bang Theory" is going to be cancelled in order to make bandwidth available for this HUGE TV market panacea. You know... "TV market"... it's this nebulous grouping of people that is 5000 times larger than the actual population of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Here is an article on the merger in today's Houston Chronicle. I hope the link works.

UH, Rice likely to pad wallets in new conference homes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Here is an article on the merger in today's Houston Chronicle. I hope the link works.

UH, Rice likely to pad wallets in new conference homes
    No link.

LINK

"Smatresk said meetings will take place in the coming months to hammer out details. While it's not a certainty the league will add other members, if it does it likely will look to teams from the Sun Belt (North Texas, Florida International) and Western Athletic Conference (Louisiana Tech, Utah State, UTSA) and possibly even Temple."

List of potential candidates from ESPN....

"According to multiple sources, the candidates include Charlotte (A-10), which is about to start playing football; Florida International (Sun Belt); North Texas (Sun Belt); UT-San Antonio (WAC); Louisiana Tech (WAC); Middle Tennessee State (Sun Belt); Western Kentucky (Sun Belt), if the Hilltoppers want to bump up the football program; Old Dominion (CAA), if the Monarchs bump up football as well; and UMass and Temple (both would be coming from MAC in football, A-10 in other sports)."

LINK

"Smatresk said meetings will take place in the coming months to hammer out details. While it's not a certainty the league will add other members, if it does it likely will look to teams from the Sun Belt (North Texas, Florida International) and Western Athletic Conference (Louisiana Tech, Utah State, UTSA) and possibly even Temple."
    Awesome!

Exactly. We need the alliance to stop.

Exactly. We need the alliance to stop.
    I really think this proposed alliance is a temporary quick-fix. It seems to me to be an unwieldy amalgamation of distinctly different institutions in a far-flung geographic swath. Looks like they're scared to death!

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    I really think this proposed alliance is a temporary quick-fix. It seems to me to be an unwieldy amalgamation of distinctly different institutions in a far-flung geographic swath. Looks like they're scared to death!
    You've hit the nail on the head.

They are scared to death of the perception of their superiority being shattered in the next few years.

Alone, CUSA's separation from the SBC will only get blurrier as time goes by until no one can tell the difference.

Merged with the MWC gives them 8 more schools they can point to as being "better" than the lowly SBC schools.

And, vice/versa with the MWC and the WAC.

The Merger is today.

This is the future......

http://www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/...ion&highlight=

3 conference solution

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Well just think of the National Anthem and how it fits this new conference

-"from sea to shining sea"

literally!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6