_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: University of Louisiana Invitational ( UL goes 1-2)

  1. UL Baseball University of Louisiana Invitational ( UL goes 1-2)


    University of Louisiana Invitational

    Hosted by Louisiana – Mar. 3-5, 2006
    M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field – La. Louisiana

    TEAMS
  2. Louisiana RAGIN' CAJUNS
  3. Evansville PURPLE ACES
  4. Iowa HAWKEYES
  5. Northwestern State DEMONS

  6. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns try for tourney success


      The University of Louisiana was surprisingly successful in in-season tournament play during the 2005 season, and the Ragin' Cajuns will try to recapture some of that tourney magic this weekend.

    Weather problems and the right arm of Purdue's Jay Buente cost the Cajuns a fifth straight regular-season championship last weekend in their own Mardi Gras Ball, and now they'll face Evansville, Iowa and Northwestern State in the round-robin Louisiana Invitational beginning today at Tigue Moore Field.

    UL (4-1) takes on Evansville (7-4) at 6:30 p.m. today after Iowa (3-0) meets Northwestern State (7-5) in a 2 p.m. tournament opener. The teams also pair up Saturday and Sunday, with the Cajuns facing Iowa at 2:05 p.m. Saturday and NSU at 4 p.m. Sunday.

    "We think tournament play is a big plus for us," said UL coach Tony Robichaux, whose team has won three straight games since a 5-1 loss to Purdue last Friday in the Mardi Gras Ball opener. "It helps us simulate a conference weekend with three games against good competition, and it'll also help us at the end of the year when we get to postseason."

    And Robichaux said his team was helped by the loss to Purdue, when Buente struck out 11 and allowed three hits in eight innings.

    "We may not see an arm that good until postseason," Robichaux said, "so that was good especially for our younger guys."

    His guys will see another good arm in Evansville 6-foot-5 senior righthander Adam Rogers (1-1, 2.21), who is slated to start for the Aces opposite UL's Hunter Moody (1-1, 2.45) tonight.

    The rest of the story



    Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com



  7. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,964

    Default Re: University of Louisiana Invitational BEGINS TODAY


    Did UL change the name of the baseball tournament this weekend from the Louisiana-Lafayette Invitational to the Louisiana Invitational? I complained about the Louisiana-Lafayette name and sent an email to Coach Robicheaux about why we are calling it the Louisiana-Lafayette Invitational instead of the Louisiana Invitational, but never did receive a response. Now, I see Dan McDonald's article referring to the Louisiana Invitational. Does anyone know if there was an official change of the name of the tournament? Maybe my email did some good afterall.


  8. #4
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,775

    Default Re: University of Louisiana Invitational BEGINS TODAY

    Quote Originally Posted by SugarLandCajun
    Did UL change the name of the baseball tournament this weekend from the Louisiana-Lafayette Invitational to the Louisiana Invitational? I complained about the Louisiana-Lafayette name and sent an email to Coach Robicheaux about why we are calling it the Louisiana-Lafayette Invitational instead of the Louisiana Invitational, but never did receive a response. Now, I see Dan McDonald's article referring to the Louisiana Invitational. Does anyone know if there was an official change of the name of the tournament? Maybe my email did some good afterall.
    NADA!!! Legally you cant do it... Dan McDonald, doesnt have to abide by the states dumb____, stupid ___, ____ed up, dip____ law, and can print whatever he likes...

    I hope a bunch of those lousy ______s choke on it.

    Z.

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re: University of Louisiana Invitational BEGINS TODAY

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    NADA!!! Legally you cant do it... Dan McDonald, doesnt have to abide by the states dumb____, stupid ___, ____ed up, dip____ law, and can print whatever he likes...

    I hope a bunch of those lousy ______s choke on it.

    Z.
    So tell us Z, how do you really feel?

    Just kiddin man. I feel the exact same way.

    By the way, I don't know if any of you look at Boyd Nation's web site, www.boydsworld.com, but he has a weekly column calle Breadcrumbs back to Omaha. I read this column only becuase I love college baseball, but it is obvious from the content that this guy is nothing but a stats geek who loves the SEC. In his latest column dated 2/28/06 entitled Ten Year Standings Revisited, he looks at the conference records from all of the conferences over a 5 to 10 year period and then makes comments about the relative strength and/or weakness of each conference. Under the SunBelt conference his comment is, and I quote, "One relatively big dog, one medium-size dog (who had one shining moment), and a 3-to-4-team pack lagging a bit behind." I assume the big dog is South Alabama since they are at the top of the list (we are 2nd). Does this guy not know the history of our program? Does he not know that South Alabama flames out in the post season every year? He is a complete moron.

    Don't get me wrong, stats are great and they serve a purpose, to a point, but they are no substitute for playing the game and actually knowing the game.

    Just my opinion. Thanks for letting me vent.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: University of Louisiana Invitational BEGINS TODAY

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    NADA!!! Legally you cant do it... Dan McDonald, doesnt have to abide by the states dumb____, stupid ___, ____ed up, dip____ law, and can print whatever he likes...

    I hope a bunch of those lousy ______s choke on it.

    Z.
    Go ahead Z don't hold it back. Just because it's baseball season you should have included Horse______t.

    Hey along the same lines of the billboard. I think we should start a campaign called "We are Louisiana." Lafayette is Louisiana, the food, the community and the University, We are Louisiana. Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns.

  11. Default UL down 0-1 loses 5-11


    LOUISIANA La. - The University of Evansville baseball team used a pair of five-run innings Friday night to knock off the host Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns, 11-5, in the first round of the Louisiana Invitational at M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field.

    "This was a huge win for us," said UE head coach Dave Schrage. "Our bats finally got going tonight, which was nice to see. And it came against a good opponent, as Louisiana went to the NCAA Tournament last season."

    Evansville scored five runs in the top of the fourth inning to rally from an early 4-0 deficit. The Purple Aces then pushed across five runs in the top of the eighth inning to snap a 5-5 tie and take control of the contest.

    Junior outfielder Kern Watts pushed across UE's first run of the eighth inning rally, as he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Senior second baseman Kyle Smith then broke open the game on the next pitch, as he laced a bases-clearing, three-run double down the left-field line to move UE's lead to 9-5. Junior Pat Tumilty then brought Smith home with an RBI single to center field to give UE a 10-5 lead.

    "Kyle's double in the eighth really broke things open for us," said Schrage. "He had a great night at the plate, collecting three hits. Everyone up and down the order really stepped up tonight and delivered when we needed it."

    The Purple Aces would tack on an insurance run in the ninth inning on a Robbie Minor RBI single to grab an 11-5 lead, and senior right-hander Scott Souther (2-0) worked around a two-out double in the ninth inning to preserve the victory for UE. Souther worked the final 2.1 innings, giving up only the double to earn his second victory of the year.

    The rest of the story






  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    721
    Blog Entries
    1

    UL Baseball Robichaux COME ON

    You always leave your pitchers in way long early in the season. Just tell me why you have to wait till they get in trouble to pull them?


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country
    Posts
    548

    UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Robichaux COME ON

    He probably does it to see what kind of pitcher he has, if they will crack under the pressure of being behind or if they can work themself out of a jam for later in the season. He's doing this early in the season before conference play starts. Don't panic when he leaves them in too long early in the season, it's probably just a test.


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re: Robichaux COME ON

    I know it is early in the season and Coach Robe likes to see what kind of clup he has by experimenting, but the problem with that is we end up sacrificing wins that we desperately need. I say "desperately" because the only way we can get into post season is to either 1) win the conference tournament (which we can never seem to do), or 2) win 40 to 45 games to get an at large bid. However, when we lose games to Evansville and Northwestern early in the year, games that should be wins, we severly hurt our chances for an at large bid. This is becuase our non-conference schedule is usually very weak and the SunBelt is just not the greatest conference (in any sport).

    By the way, if any of you out there have a clue as to what Coach Szefc's hitting philosophy is, please let me in on it. I haven't been able to figure it out since he has been here. I know our team batting average was high last year, but like most stats, it was deceiving. I say that because we did not seem to get key hits at the right time. Most of our hits seem to come with 2 outs. That's great for average, but when you can't bring the runs home, average doesn't mean squat. I also have a feeling that our strike out totals have been higher in the last 4 years than they ever have been. Maybe Turbine can get some stats for us. I would be especially interested in seeing what our strike out looking totals have been for the last 4 years as compared to the previous 4 years. That is the one thing that drives me absolutely nuts, seeing someone strike out looking. With 2 strikes you have to swing the bat.

    Is Scott Hawkins hurt? If not, why isn't he playing? I thought he was supposed to be a stud.


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: University of Louisiana Invitational BEGINS TODAY

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    NADA!!! Legally you cant do it... Dan McDonald, doesnt have to abide by the states dumb____, stupid ___, ____ed up, dip____ law, and can print whatever he likes...

    I hope a bunch of those lousy ______s choke on it.

    Z.
    Why couldn't we do it? Louisiana is the name of our state, not just the university, so it seems like there would be nothing illegal about calling it the "Louisiana Invitational"

  16. UL Baseball Demons top Moody in pitchers' duel


      Despite excellent pitching, Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns dropped the final game of the Louisiana-Lafayette Invitational to in-state rival Northwestern State, 2-0, on Sunday at M. L. "Tigue" Moore Field.

    UL starting pitcher Hunter Moody scattered four hits over eight innings of work. The southpaw walked only two while striking out eight, but took the loss for the Cajuns, who dropped to 5-3 on the season. The sophomore surrendered the only two runs of the game.

    Through the first six innings, Moody was nearly perfect. He allowed only two hits and a pair of walks in the first six innings, fanning seven batters.

    NSU manufactured a pair of runs in the seventh and eighth innings to slip past the Cajuns.

    In the seventh inning, NSU's Miles Durham singled up the middle to give the Demons a baserunner. A sacrifice bunt and a steal advanced Durham to third base. Durham would come around to score on a groundout to give the Demons a 1-0 advantage.

    The Demons extended their lead in the eighth inning, mirroring their seventh. Scott Pittenger hit a ball just out of reach of a diving Josh Landry to reach second base. A sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice fly plated the runner and extend the lead to 2-0.

    The rest of the story






  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pine woods of Felicianas, 6 miles southeast of Clinton, LA
    Posts
    36

    UL Baseball Re: Robichaux COME ON

    The measure of a man (or a woman or a nation for that matter) is how one reponds to challenges and adversities. This is certainly true about life in general, in life and death situations and even in athletic venues. The United States did not become the world's Super Power until it faced World War II. So it is at a much lesser level, but true nevertheless, even on a baseball diamond. Adversity builds character and poise and stature. Coach Robe does an outstanding job on allowing his players and thus his team to be placed in situations that will season them and help them to become men and to become the best ballplayers they can possibly become. Nobody likes to lose but there are opportunities even in our failures and shortcomings and Robe and his staff very much realize that fact!

    As far as hitting the baseball goes, what other sport can you think of that you can fail two-thirds of the time and still be considered a success? Coaches cannot play the game for the players, it does generally come down to executing and putting all three elements together - pitching, defense, and timely hitting. Baseball is baseball. How many double-headers have you watched one team to win the first game only to get blown out the second game? We have extremely talented players on this Cajun squad. Players that can pitch, that can hit and can field the baseball.

    Our pitching is coming along fine. Moody, Glass, Farquhar, Fernandez have done outstanding in theirs starts and Wilborn has struggled at times but looks good and will only get better. Sanders, God Bless him, has a load to carry. It is extremely difficult for any reliever/starter and he carries the brunt of this bullpen. Last year with ALL those Senior pitchers, we had three true Freshman on the staff - Blue, Glass, and Moody. All three struggled at times to learn the college game. Blue is now gone and playing JuCo in Texas. And this '06 squad has two Sophmores - Moody and Glass - along with Senior Sanders to lead this pitching staff. Lest anyone forgets, it took untill the latter part of conference play for Moody to become the Sunday starter. And getting back to the original question as to why does Coach Robe leave pitchers in difficult SITUATIONS? Hunter faced his share of jams and adversities throughout the season last year leading right up to his Regional win against Southern.

    Robe and Szefc both know that players cannot be preoccuppied with winning or losing. A pitcher on the mound thinking about that will fall to pieces. His only thought should be on the pitch he is about to deliver. The same with the batters - they can only be focused on their present at bat and the pitch heading their way. Of course you play the game to win - coaches keep their job by winning - not losing. Having said that the old cliche' is true - It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. And when the game is played the way it is meant to be played, and all three elements (pitching, fielding, hitting) come together, then winning will take care of itself. And that is what these Cajun coaches and players are in the business of - teaching and learning to play the game of baseball the way it is meant to be played! So patience my dear friend - patience. Rome was not built in a day and this young team won't be built in just EIGHT games. They will only get better!


  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    1,184

    UL Softball Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    I know it is early in the season and Coach Robe likes to see what kind of clup he has by experimenting, but the problem with that is we end up sacrificing wins that we desperately need. I say "desperately" because the only way we can get into post season is to either 1) win the conference tournament (which we can never seem to do), or 2) win 40 to 45 games to get an at large bid. However, when we lose games to Evansville and Northwestern early in the year, games that should be wins, we severly hurt our chances for an at large bid. This is becuase our non-conference schedule is usually very weak and the SunBelt is just not the greatest conference (in any sport).

    By the way, if any of you out there have a clue as to what Coach Szefc's hitting philosophy is, please let me in on it. I haven't been able to figure it out since he has been here. I know our team batting average was high last year, but like most stats, it was deceiving. I say that because we did not seem to get key hits at the right time. Most of our hits seem to come with 2 outs. That's great for average, but when you can't bring the runs home, average doesn't mean squat. I also have a feeling that our strike out totals have been higher in the last 4 years than they ever have been. Maybe Turbine can get some stats for us. I would be especially interested in seeing what our strike out looking totals have been for the last 4 years as compared to the previous 4 years. That is the one thing that drives me absolutely nuts, seeing someone strike out looking. With 2 strikes you have to swing the bat.

    Is Scott Hawkins hurt? If not, why isn't he playing? I thought he was supposed to be a stud.
    Scott Hawkins, did reinjure his shoulder, I spoke with him Sunday and he is in therapy.

    I know a lot of people want to win every game and most non-conference games but let's face it college baseball is now becoming a level playing field for all. Just look at the talent out there in Louisiana. Northwestern is no slouch. They play with pride too. Our hitting is bad right now but it will come around. To start questioning Coach Rob's abilities is not something we need right now. I myself have asked, "Why did he do it that way", and I always catch myself and say, "Shut up" to myself. He is by far in my opionion the best coach this University has ever had. I am not saying you aren't a fan, it's just keep the faith and look at college baseball as Evenly matched for most of the schools. Evansville has a good team and so does Northwestern State. I believe things will come around. I hate losing to in-state rivals also, but one has to except defeat. Remember, we are a school that other schools love to beat. Along with Tulane and LSU, we have set standards in winning for Louisiana baseball and people love to beat us.

    Geaux Cajuns

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by USLJim
    Scott Hawkins, did reinjure his shoulder, I spoke with him Sunday and he is in therapy.

    I know a lot of people want to win every game and most non-conference games but let's face it college baseball is now becoming a level playing field for all. Just look at the talent out there in Louisiana. Northwestern is no slouch. They play with pride too. Our hitting is bad right now but it will come around. To start questioning Coach Rob's abilities is not something we need right now. I myself have asked, "Why did he do it that way", and I always catch myself and say, "Shut up" to myself. He is by far in my opionion the best coach this University has ever had. I am not saying you aren't a fan, it's just keep the faith and look at college baseball as Evenly matched for most of the schools. Evansville has a good team and so does Northwestern State. I believe things will come around. I hate losing to in-state rivals also, but one has to except defeat. Remember, we are a school that other schools love to beat. Along with Tulane and LSU, we have set standards in winning for Louisiana baseball and people love to beat us.

    Geaux Cajuns
    You are correct of course. I am just upset about losing. I'll get over it.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsTabasco
    The measure of a man (or a woman or a nation for that matter) is how one reponds to challenges and adversities. This is certainly true about life in general, in life and death situations and even in athletic venues. The United States did not become the world's Super Power until it faced World War II. So it is at a much lesser level, but true nevertheless, even on a baseball diamond. Adversity builds character and poise and stature. Coach Robe does an outstanding job on allowing his players and thus his team to be placed in situations that will season them and help them to become men and to become the best ballplayers they can possibly become. Nobody likes to lose but there are opportunities even in our failures and shortcomings and Robe and his staff very much realize that fact!

    As far as hitting the baseball goes, what other sport can you think of that you can fail two-thirds of the time and still be considered a success? Coaches cannot play the game for the players, it does generally come down to executing and putting all three elements together - pitching, defense, and timely hitting. Baseball is baseball. How many double-headers have you watched one team to win the first game only to get blown out the second game? We have extremely talented players on this Cajun squad. Players that can pitch, that can hit and can field the baseball.

    Our pitching is coming along fine. Moody, Glass, Farquhar, Fernandez have done outstanding in theirs starts and Wilborn has struggled at times but looks good and will only get better. Sanders, God Bless him, has a load to carry. It is extremely difficult for any reliever/starter and he carries the brunt of this bullpen. Last year with ALL those Senior pitchers, we had three true Freshman on the staff - Blue, Glass, and Moody. All three struggled at times to learn the college game. Blue is now gone and playing JuCo in Texas. And this '06 squad has two Sophmores - Moody and Glass - along with Senior Sanders to lead this pitching staff. Lest anyone forgets, it took untill the latter part of conference play for Moody to become the Sunday starter. And getting back to the original question as to why does Coach Robe leave pitchers in difficult SITUATIONS? Hunter faced his share of jams and adversities throughout the season last year leading right up to his Regional win against Southern.

    Robe and Szefc both know that players cannot be preoccuppied with winning or losing. A pitcher on the mound thinking about that will fall to pieces. His only thought should be on the pitch he is about to deliver. The same with the batters - they can only be focused on their present at bat and the pitch heading their way. Of course you play the game to win - coaches keep their job by winning - not losing. Having said that the old cliche' is true - It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. And when the game is played the way it is meant to be played, and all three elements (pitching, fielding, hitting) come together, then winning will take care of itself. And that is what these Cajun coaches and players are in the business of - teaching and learning to play the game of baseball the way it is meant to be played! So patience my dear friend - patience. Rome was not built in a day and this young team won't be built in just EIGHT games. They will only get better!
    You are also correct.

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eunice, LA
    Posts
    1,702

    UL Softball Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    You are also correct.
    AND YOU ARE BIG, BIG MAN FOR ADMITTING THAT!!

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: .

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    By the way, if any of you out there have a clue as to what Coach Szefc's hitting philosophy is, please let me in on it.
    I think it's called linear hitting..........

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,074

    Default Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by UL Ragin Cajun
    From what I understand Coach Szefc teaches linear hitting compaired to UL softball coach Lotief who teaches rotational hitting. Check out the difference below....

    Linear Hitting vs Rotational Hitting:
    http://www.mikeepsteinhitting.com/overview.htm


    Very interesting. From this article it seems that we are doing it wrong. However, I don't know because I am not a hitting coach. All I know is that you can hit .400 plus as a team, but if you can't get the hits when they count, it doesn't mean anything.

    I guess what really frustrates me the most is the inconsistency this program has shown since the 2000 world series. We should be at a point where we should be reloading every year and not going 500 every other year. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to go to the college world series every year (although it would be nice ), but I do expect to make the post season 4 out of every 5 years. That is not too much to ask from this program. I know that Tony has it tough here with the administration not fully backing him (or any other athletic program for that matter), but you can't tell me we are worse off financially than Northwestern, Nicholls, McNeese or Southeastern. My point is that none of these programs are slouches, as evidenced by the fact that they all beat us on a fairly regular basis. However, we should be better than that. We should win 35 to 40 games a year at a muinimum. I just want to see some consistency.

    In any event, I love Coach Robe and the rest of the staff and I will be at all of the games that I can make. GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    UL Baseball Re: Robichaux COME ON

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    You are correct of course. I am just upset about losing. I'll get over it.
    Don't buy into that dude, we know better than that. We are a young team, with what we belive is very outstanding talent. NSU is a fine school, but my goals are far higher than beating them, or Perdue, and te Purple Aces. I expect to beat those teams much more often than not. We have not lost to LSU, TU, TX, or Rice we lost to some rather average middle tier teams, and while I hope and expect more, nobody is going to sell me that we are progressing losing to those teams we have lost to this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •